Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Here\'s what I got from Ga Senator regarding HR4411...

Are any of the holds known at this point?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A big lopsided house vote doesn't mean a damn thing other than the fact that the bill goes to the senate. I'd say that multiple holds (of which there is probably a serious one) and opposition from powerful lobbying groups would provide obstacles to the bill coming to a vote. I'm not saying it won't happen, but its not likely to happen. If even one of the holds is from a senator who is set on keeping this from coming to a vote, it will not come to a vote in September.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a senator who is "set on keeping this from coming to a vote"? Not one that I have heard of. So, sure, in theory there could be obstacles...but have any surfaced? Has any senator said they would prevent this from coming to a vote? If so...please name one.

---Leavenfish
Old 08-20-2006, 01:57 AM

If this bill passes, maybe you guys should consider altering your national anthem: the part about "land of the free".
Old 08-20-2006, 12:32 PM

The state of Georgia does not support gambling on poker
Old 08-20-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The state of Georgia does not support gambling on poker

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it's obviously a f'ing joke. It's okay to have a lottery game sponsored by the WPT, but online poker is illegal.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:54 PM

I saw that commercial this weekend down here in Joja. Yay hyprocrites.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:12 AM

I'm no politician, but why aren't all democrats putting a hold on this bill before elections? It seems like that's what would make the most sense for the party -- thereyby giving republicans less "morality" fuel for their compaigns. If this is clearly a political move by republicans to get some votes, then why don't the democrats stop them?

Also, with everything going on in the middle east right now, I would campaign like crazy using this against Frist. It simply means that his priorities are not in the right places. We have war in the middle east and a huge threat with Iran and N Korea, yet he's worried about a few people playing poker online?

Perhaps I'm simply too naive to understand true Washington politics, but it just seems like such a political move by Frist and yet nobody is calling him on it.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm no politician, but why aren't all democrats putting a hold on this bill before elections? It seems like that's what would make the most sense for the party -- thereyby giving republicans less "morality" fuel for their compaigns. If this is clearly a political move by republicans to get some votes, then why don't the democrats stop them?

Also, with everything going on in the middle east right now, I would campaign like crazy using this against Frist. It simply means that his priorities are not in the right places. We have war in the middle east and a huge threat with Iran and N Korea, yet he's worried about a few people playing poker online?

Perhaps I'm simply too naive to understand true Washington politics, but it just seems like such a political move by Frist and yet nobody is calling him on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many Democrats support this bill. Most of the Democrats in the House voted for it.