Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 04:41 AM

Default limit question - protecting your hand before and after the flop

Small Stakes Holdem advocates playing large pots agressively on the flop and turn to protect your hand even if you suspect it may not be the best. As one or two lost bets or raises are a small tradeoff to make for occasionaly saving a big pot.

I have just watched Ed Miller's Limit DVD on preflop strategies and he says that traditional poker advice that you raise with premium hands preflop to limit the field is incorrect, because you most likely have a big pot equity advantage and make money with every call you get. Therefore if a raise or reraise is likely to limit the field to two or three players, then sometimes you should tend to just call to just go for the overcalls if this is the most likely way to build a big pot preflop.

So why is it correct to go for overcalls preflop and not on the flop? There seems to be an emphasis by Ed Miller on getting action on your good hands preflop but not on the flop and I don't really understand the difference.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:14 AM

Default Re: limit question - protecting your hand before and after the flop

there is a huge difference as on the flop if they hit a draw more often then not they are getting the proper odds to call. where as pf they are not really getting the odds with hands like suited connectors or smaller pps because they dont really have the implied odds of stacking an opponent as they do in No limit.

That is my understanding of the concept though.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So why is it correct to go for overcalls preflop and not on the flop? There seems to be an emphasis by Ed Miller on getting action on your good hands preflop but not on the flop and I don't really understand the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop there's money in the pot to win. Preflop there isn't.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 AM

In this sentence [ QUOTE ]
then sometimes you should tend to just call to just go for the overcalls

[/ QUOTE ]

The key word is SOMETIMES. Not all the time. it depends on what the other players think of YOU.

Will a raise limit the field?? Do the others know that you raise ONLY with premium hands? OR will then just cold call along blindly.

"Sometimes" means once every 10 ?? Once every 5? it does not mean ALL the time.

I think what he might be trying to get accross is the one error I see MANY players do and it is being over aggressive, putting to much stock in trying to get that aggression as high as possable.

Too much aggression is as bad as being weak. SOMETIMES.