Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Re: cable modem vs.dsl

In this area (Cincinnati) I hear people with cable modems bitching all the time about their spotty service. I've had DSL for six years and it hasn't been down for probably 3 or 4 years at least.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to be a cable installer, cable modems are almost always faster than DSL, but tend to be slightly less reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy hit it on the head. I live in a condo and the cable wiring is the old skinny black wire. I had a hell of a time keeping the cable going. I would get kicked off all the time, usually during a critical hand in a tourney. Finally I switched to DSL and yes it is a bit slower, but not that much. I have never had a problem with DSL yet.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:04 AM

I don't know what stakes you play but if you play any sort of high stakes, you need to get both.

I learned that lesson when I had $900 in tournaments open and Source Cable went down for a few hours.

That was last month. I've had both for a month and I've used the backup 3 times already.

Ryan
Old 08-20-2006, 06:44 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that you share bandwidth with your area when using cable modem, but you don't with DSL. So in areas where a lot of other people have cable modem (and are abusing it), you're better off getting DSL. But if you live in an area where it's just a bunch of 70 year old retired people, you can probably assume they aren't using tons of bandwidth.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 AM

If you live in a smaller sized town then a cable modem will absolutely fly! If you are in a city in a big apartment this can be a different story.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 AM

thanks for all the fantastic responses!!!

yes, my concern came from being in second place (out of 4 players) in SNG, and then i lost the session forever (and lots of smaller emergencies too). complete gift to my fellow players.... although it was very low $$$$$ level, so no biggie.... but i'd like to move up quite substantially if i had confidence in a few things (internet access being a biggie........... other concern is to find financially-secure, non-PT poker site).
Old 08-20-2006, 12:35 PM

People act like DSL is millions time slower than cable. It really isn't. Now it all depends on the phone lines in your area, and your actual physical distance from the phone company's CO, but DSL speed is still quite fast. A typical file download say from, well, download.com on DSL will be around 80k/s when a cable download is around 150k/s. The mbps they state like 3mbps and such are not an accurate way to measure the speed in practical terms. The mbps is going on the standard that modems used to work on. Back when modems were 56k or 56700 bps a file download would only be like 7k/s.

$20/month for DSL or $40+/month for cable. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 PM

Verizon FIOS
Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People act like DSL is millions time slower than cable. It really isn't. Now it all depends on the phone lines in your area, and your actual physical distance from the phone company's CO, but DSL speed is still quite fast. A typical file download say from, well, download.com on DSL will be around 80k/s when a cable download is around 150k/s. The mbps they state like 3mbps and such are not an accurate way to measure the speed in practical terms. The mbps is going on the standard that modems used to work on. Back when modems were 56k or 56700 bps a file download would only be like 7k/s.

$20/month for DSL or $40+/month for cable. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

[/ QUOTE ]

does every DSL also require you to have phone service? I have not had a land phone for 3 years. I think the cost for someone like me would actually be about 40 because of the landline.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:36 PM

For poker you might as well get Bell. The max speed will be slightly less but it will still be very fast and more importantly consistent. I live in the toronto area and the fastest bell service has served me fine for poker and for any large downloads I need to do. Bell isn't really organized in terms of their promotions but you should be able to find something good. We asked to be locked in for a year and got a good discount as a result.