Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: AQ, can I fold this?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think i'd just call the flop bet and use our position to play a smallish pot here. what pays us off- AJ? We're behind AA,KK,QQ,JJ and split w/ AQ and will get no action (call of our raise) with AK

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think calling is OK in this spot for sure. I wouldn't always raise here but if I do and they fold I don't feel too bad about not extracting more with that many in the pot. The small bet by the initial raiser kinda looks like a set or not much so I thought I'd raise rather than face a decision on the turn. As it happens he just had a draw and I got pushed off [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the exception of KT I dont think there is another hand here that could play back at us/stand a raise that we're ahead of. That's why I like a call. Small intital bet was from shorty, right? let PFR call in the middle and see what happens on the turn. I don't mind getting it in versus shorty heads up
Old 08-19-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: AQ, can I fold this?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think i'd just call the flop bet and use our position to play a smallish pot here. what pays us off- AJ? We're behind AA,KK,QQ,JJ and split w/ AQ and will get no action (call of our raise) with AK

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I think calling is OK in this spot for sure. I wouldn't always raise here but if I do and they fold I don't feel too bad about not extracting more with that many in the pot. The small bet by the initial raiser kinda looks like a set or not much so I thought I'd raise rather than face a decision on the turn. As it happens he just had a draw and I got pushed off [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the exception of KT I dont think there is another hand here that could play back at us/stand a raise that we're ahead of. That's why I like a call. Small intital bet was from shorty, right? let PFR call in the middle and see what happens on the turn. I don't mind getting it in versus shorty heads up

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if the converter worked properly with this hand (it went a bit funny) - but the short stack checked the flop (then went called my raise for a/i) and the intial raiser bet about half the pot. I think raising the flop is OK because taking the pot right there is fine even if we are ahead, but I can see how calling works better in a lot of cases.