Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 10:16 PM

Default My HU M.O- please fill in the missing parts :-)

These are some of the patterns and methodology Ive noticed in my play. I dont know whether they are correct or not- or if there are better ways to do some things. I would appreciate any feedback anyone cares to share. Id like to learn new things as well.

Again- these are not necessarily right or wrong- merely my inclinations when playing HU sng's.

1. My mind divides the game up into 2 main categories: when I am in position and when I am OOP (likewise for my opponent.); and then below that; subcategories:
a. OOP limped; in pos. raised
b. OOP raised; in pos. limped
c. both limped
d. both raised

and all strategies are formed from the information Ive gathered from each category- much more so than my cards.

2. I do not have any standard for starting cards, or what I raise with, how much I raise. I raise rags occasionally, and limp with Ax, AA, JJ occasionally as well. That said, I do run betting and raising scripts at the very beginning. They are:
a. I call OOP and then check/call flop to determine what my opponent does in this situation.
b. I min raise PF; to gauge reaction- then follow with a pot sized bet.
c. I raise 3x the BB to gauge reaction- then follow with a minimum bet on the flop.
d. I raise 5x the BB- gauge reaction. (it is generally: FOLD); follow by checking flop.

I do this with whatever cards are dealt to me, at the very beginning of the tournament. I use the information to decide what in pos. and OOP betting sequences will work best. Contrary to what you may think- after running my betting scripts- I am usually even or slightly ahead. The most I have ever been behind was t300, and that was only once. I dont know that it would be the case for other players...dunno.

3. I believe in AVOIDING AT ALL COSTS committing a large portion of my chips to any one hand- unless it is a VERY GOOD bluff. (as opposed to the all too common ill-timed bluffs). YES that means that opponents that push the river often have an edge on me- I will very likely fold. BUT THAT'S OKAY!!! The idea is that I eventually adjust my range and call with the best hand!

Okay that's it. That's what I do. Im very loose pre-flop- and fold tight on the turn and river. As a result of taking too long to learn not to call OOP- I play OOP alright...though rarely.

K- tear it apart! Give me better ideas!

thank you
Old 08-18-2006, 05:56 AM

Default Re: My HU M.O- please fill in the missing parts :-)

hu sngs are for nits
Old 08-18-2006, 10:42 AM

Question: When you say OOP, do you mean pre-flop or post-flop. I tend to think of OOP as post-flop (not on the button), meaning you have "position" pre-flop (as button acts first). In reading above, I can't tell if you mean the same as I do, or the opposite.

Please clarify & then I'll be happy to discuss, b/c I tend to think like you to (although I've never run "official" betting scripts - I'm always hyper-aware in the first 10 hands, or so, as to any patterns I can discern - but have never run a script as you do. Nice idea, I will try it).
Old 08-18-2006, 03:43 PM

OOP means out of position post flop. Sorry. The button acts first PF, but is still in pos. for the rest of the hand- therefore- they are in pos....Ill just edit to say BTN...
Old 08-18-2006, 05:41 PM

Ok, no that's what I thought too... Just got confused when you wrote "OOP limped"...

[ QUOTE ]
I do not have any standard for starting cards, or what I raise with, how much I raise. I raise rags occasionally, and limp with Ax, AA, JJ occasionally as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same... although my limping with AA-QQ has gotten me into more trouble than it's allowed me to trap, so I've all but eliminated that.

In general, I play a lot more based on my opponent than my cards. If he's aggressive, I'm tight. If he's tight, I'm aggressive. I would say my "normal style" is aggressive, bordering on LAG. BUT, I would say that I almost never play my "normal style" b/c my opponents mix it up for me.

As I said in my earlier post, I am hyper-aware the first 10 or so hands to pick up any patterns. Of course, I attempt to be "hyper-aware" throughout the whole match, but I find that I am better in the first 10 hands. One of my greatest weaknesses ATM is picking up on whether my opponent is switching gears half-way through a match.

I think you're betting scripts are great; I'm going to try them myself & will get back to you.

My main mantra (other than playing the opponent) is "don't play big pots OOP". This is easier said then done, but I would much rather raise on the button with any two cards then call OOP w/2 marginal cards.

More discussion is welcome. I have no idea if I'm doing anything right and have only started taking head's up seriously this past month, so don't really have enough games/sample size for a serious analysis of play.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:53 PM

What buyins do you play at, what is your ITM percentage, and how big is your sample size?

I'm curious what kind of results your MO produces.

I also subdivide based on position. I play 100% of the time from the button, and raise 99% of the time. From OOP, I big raise to end the hand with A9, KJ, pairs, and most blackjack hands if the button just limps.

I always remember to play bigger pots with big hands and small pots with small hands as NLHTP suggests. I also make the pot bigger in late position. I'm 64% with this at 10.5 and 21.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:18 PM

OP,

Your strategy seems pretty solid. I especially like the way you try to gauge your opponent early in the match. You can use the scripts as you do, but as you play more and more games it'll become habit.

You can also gauge your opponent by how often he limps preflop. I have found that this is a very good indicator of the level of aggression I am going to face.

Also, rather that try to answer each of those questions ("What does he do if... "), I would simply try to put some broad, overarching labels on his style. You can answer this by doing what you are doing, but, its too flaky.

You raise 5x with garbage and your opponent folds. What does that tell you? Not much, I think. Sure, if he calls you find something out. But he will fold the majority of the time and I dont think you gain enough information from that to make it worthwhile. I say, play your game and watch how he reacts to how you play. As long as he is reacting, you will do fine.

Other than that, I like what you're doing. Aggression + Position is the key to HUSNGs.