Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 06:26 PM

Default number/number/number

hello

I was wondering what the #/#/# means when describing a player. I tried searching but I didnt know how to describe it.

also, if theres any other important terminology like this that you can explain, I would appreciate it.

thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Re: number/number/number

Just guessing from your subject line, I'll bet this is the answer.

Now I'll hit "Continue," then actually read the post and see if I was right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(EDITED: Only to fix the link, twice.)
Old 08-18-2006, 06:55 PM

Broadway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], I think that link is not working properly, for me at least.

Pretty much in every poker forum there is a sticky as to how to post hands, most of them contain info on those stats #/#/#, and how they are recorded (using a program called Poker Tracker, an essential program for any serious online player). But I'll sum it up, respectively those stats are VP$IP/PFR/AF. VP$IP means the % of times a player Voluntarily Puts $ In the Pot. PFR is the % of times a player Raised Pre-Flop with that hand. AF is the % of times the player has raised After the Flop. So the first # indicated roughly what kind of range of cards the player will play, the second # is how aggresive they are preflop, and the third # is how often they continue their aggresion after a flop.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 PM

alright got it

thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 08:36 AM

Could we take this a step further and suggest what a solid player's statistics may show, compared to what a very poor players stats will show?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:29 AM

Follow the last link on the wiki and I think you'll find some of that.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could we take this a step further and suggest what a solid player's statistics may show, compared to what a very poor players stats will show?

[/ QUOTE ]
This depends on what you're playing. Limit vs no limit will have different "solid" stats for the average 2+2ers, and full-ring vs short-handed are different as well. One thing I'd like to point out, is that a lot of beginners fall into the trap of trying to make their game fit a certain profile of stats. For example, someone thinks that 20/12/2 is optimal for 2/4 limit hold'em, full ring. They look at their own stats and see that they're an 18/12/2, so they start calling more hands just to fill that 2% VPIP, not because they find those hands to be profitable. Or they see that their AF is too low, so they start throwing in random raises to be more "aggressive". Instead, just learn to play solidly, and the stats will follow. A variety of styles can be profitable.

PS: One last note. In PT, there's the option to include or to not include the preflop numbers in the AF calculation (General Info > More Detail > Include pre-flop numbers in total aggression factor calculation). It's standard here on 2+2 to not include them, as PFR is considered a better measure of a player's pre-flop aggression.