Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Suited Connectors question

9-player No Limit Hold'em tournament.
1 player limps in Early Position, everyone else folds to you, on the button with <font color="black">8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font>. Is it a better play to raise and force out the blinds, or to call and increase your Pot Odds by encouraging the Blinds in?
Old 08-18-2006, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Suited Connectors question

[ QUOTE ]
9-player No Limit Hold'em tournament.
1 player limps in Early Position, everyone else folds to you, on the button with <font color="black">8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font>. Is it a better play to raise and force out the blinds, or to call and increase your Pot Odds by encouraging the Blinds in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say limp and hope the blinds come in. If you raise and it's just you and the limper heads up- what will he have limped with that you can beat? I think (on average) it's more likely he will have limped with big suited broadways or small / medium PP.

I may be totally wrong with this- so would like to here others opinions.

Ian
Old 08-18-2006, 02:09 AM

It obviously depends on a lot of factors including

1) the blinds
2) avg stack
3) your stack
4) opponents stack
5)stage of the tournament
6)willingness of blinds to defend
7) if there's an ante
8) how often limper will limp/fold and limp/re-raise
9) how you can play post-flop against villlains

if you define these situations then the answer should be clear to you.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:48 AM

On average I feel like raising with a hand that I wouldn't typically raise with after someone has limped before me is a relatively ineffective play. I've found way too many times that I'll push the blinds out with the raise, but the limper will call. If you hit the flop, that's great, but if you miss and are looking at a board that likely hit him, you may get caught trying to represent a hand he may actually have.

But as has been mentioned, it's very situational and dependent on many things. If the limper has been limping and then folding to raises, obviously that's different than raising a mediocre hand at a calling station.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:50 AM

suited connectors are hand that you only play if you have high implied odds. So you dont raise because you want the small blind and big blind in. if sm and bb will call a small raise then def make a small raise, this will encourage people to play after the flop if you hit a draw, two pair or three of a kind. if the blinds are not going to play then fold, your not getting good odds. If you think you can bluff or semi-bluff the limper on the flop then raise then bet the flop. you either want lots of people on the flop, or heads up and be able to win the pot on the flop with a bet. If none of these factors are there then fold.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:25 PM

Really depends on a lot of factors like relative stack sizes and where you are in the tourney and how likely you think it is that either blind will raise behind you, but in general I think that with the button I'd just call and play fit or fold. Its going to be 4 players seeing the flop assuming neither blind raises, so bluffing is going to be tough. Since you have 4 players and the button, even if you make a hand or get your draw its likely someone will bet it for you on the flop.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:18 PM

IMO, you want to play lower suited connectors as cheaply as possible. You don't have power, so raising would be putting a 'move' on your opponents. If you don't hit your flop, bluffing may be the only way to win.

Also, if you do hit your flush and run into aggression, what are you going to do? You have an 8 high flush...
Old 08-20-2006, 09:53 AM

Connectors you want multi way.
get in cheap.
POSITION is paramount
I call depending on the blinds compared to my stack.
78 is not a hand you want top pair on flop with no draw so I dont play them if my stack is short out of position.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:49 AM

In any position, a hand as questioned above plays best in a multi way pot. How so? Clearly straights and flushes, its nicer to be in late position with 3 other loose/passive opponents to act and with a good bit of chips so you can pay a little something to build then win a big pot.
In early position, or at an aggressive table- I will often dump any of the "good multiway hands" 78,89,T9 suited unless there are going to be a lot of other players to finance my draw!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:11 AM

It seems to me that this holding needs a larger field to play with effectively; therefore, I would raise it up and try to take it down right thurrr.