Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Maybe a take on a situation I thought to be correct is a leak?

On two consecutive days and approx 5 others over the last month or so I have been top 1-5 with 30- to go in rebuys (3$-10$) on PS.

Two days ago with 6 to go and yesterday with 15 to go.

On all occasions 1 of the chipleaders have been, to put it mildly, loose and happy calling large bets pf and post flopp with nothing but hopes. On all occasions I have been in pos co/button or BOB. With a hand that plays Ev+ against their range, on all occasions my read have been spot on, on all occasions I have busted to ill favours from the gods of randomness.

My question is, and Ill start with an example

Early in an Mtt I have had, and still do, no problem pushing with a hand that has an expected ev+, even marginally so, against an opponent with a wide range and eagerness to gamble. To hope to double up and get a stack.

Now usually I take alot of factors, before pursuing a similar approach as bigstack with a chanse to double up,into consideration when getting down to final 1-3 table. But then this shooting duck just begs you to hit it! You just know he is SO LOOSE and calls whatever bet you fire.

When the opponent offers you a LARGE opportunity to double up and put the remaining field way behind, massivly increasing winning possibilities I jump to it, but maybe I shouldnt?

Just to avoid missunderstanding-I am asking wether I should neglect the double up potential to keep my stack intackt and utilize its benefits against the other targets with a mind or low stack, chipping away staealing blinds and wait for huge edges or confrontations with little impact on the dynamic of my stack.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Maybe a take on a situation I thought to be correct is a leak?

What is a large opportunity to you? A coinflip? An overpair?

I would pass up coinflips with another dominant stack if you are stealing at will. It's not worth the risk when you can chip up so easily. That being said I wouldn't pass up an opportunity when I'm at least 2-1, or maybe even 3-2 to get my money in there.

Another thing to take into consideration is that most of the money is in the top 3 spots. This is what you should be going after.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:59 AM

Post hands, you'll get better feedback.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:22 PM

Turning down situations that can help you win because you are afraid of losing when you have a good stack isn't smart poker.

Its one thing to fold in a marginal spot when you are in good shape, its entirely another to fold strictly out of fear of losing when you are in a good spot.

Post some hands, maybe the spots are not as good as you think, or maybe you are just running bad at the end.

Regards,
Woodguy