Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Here\'s what I got from Ga Senator regarding HR4411...

I'm originally from Tenn, lived there 25 years. I know Frist.

Frankly, I'm tired of going round and round about this, but do you not understand what me and a few others are saying? It looks like you are basing your opinion solely on what one of the main backers of this bill says. Do you see how that has little credibility?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:18 PM

Wasn't Frist also pro-marriage amendment and pro-Terri Schaivo's parents? I think he failed in both of those spots as well. (I'm not comparing said issues, justing saying his word is not end all in the Senate. Powerful, but not a lock.)

Heck, the only reason he's even Maj Leader is because the last one decided to say a semiracist comment about how the world would be better with Thurmond as president.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Here\'s what I got from Ga Senator egarding HR4411...

i worked on senator isakson's campaign and he is definetly not a douche. he's on the wrong side on a lot of issues, but he fights for what he believes in and is sincere in his representation.

politics and political discussions often degenerate into name-calling and mud-slinging. all of the politicians with whom i have come into contact have been earnest in their attempts to represent their constituency best.

(this is coming from a democrat who would lose close to 6 figures a year if this bill passed.)

john
Old 08-18-2006, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm originally from Tenn, lived there 25 years. I know Frist.

Frankly, I'm tired of going round and round about this, but do you not understand what me and a few others are saying? It looks like you are basing your opinion solely on what one of the main backers of this bill says. Do you see how that has little credibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

And just where do you find credibility for your opinion? Hope? Wishful thinking? Some 'insider'? The price of a stock?

What's to stop it coming up for a vote? Not a thing and if it comes up for a vote, the smart money is on it passing. Frist is NOT merely some 'main backer'. He's the Majority Leader...that carries considerable weight. The man is apparently going to run for President. A person in such a position will press hard to be seen as a 'can do' guy who can get things done. Say you are 'tired of going around in circles' all you want...say people who hold opinions different from your are living in fear or are out of touch or whatever...but reasonable people can disagree. Frankly, I wish you turn out to be right and I wrong. I just don't see Frist and his minions relinquishing their momentum (big lopsided House vote) on this at this point.

Me, I've lived in TN for 42 years.

---Leavenfish
Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 AM

A big lopsided house vote doesn't mean a damn thing other than the fact that the bill goes to the senate. I'd say that multiple holds (of which there is probably a serious one) and opposition from powerful lobbying groups would provide obstacles to the bill coming to a vote. I'm not saying it won't happen, but its not likely to happen. If even one of the holds is from a senator who is set on keeping this from coming to a vote, it will not come to a vote in September.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:32 PM

Are any of the holds known at this point?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A big lopsided house vote doesn't mean a damn thing other than the fact that the bill goes to the senate. I'd say that multiple holds (of which there is probably a serious one) and opposition from powerful lobbying groups would provide obstacles to the bill coming to a vote. I'm not saying it won't happen, but its not likely to happen. If even one of the holds is from a senator who is set on keeping this from coming to a vote, it will not come to a vote in September.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a senator who is "set on keeping this from coming to a vote"? Not one that I have heard of. So, sure, in theory there could be obstacles...but have any surfaced? Has any senator said they would prevent this from coming to a vote? If so...please name one.

---Leavenfish