Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Help me deal with LAGs to my left

I had a tough time in the Main Event, because the two seats to my left were occupied by thinking LAGs that would call most PF raises, float/raise most c-bets, etc. Unfortunately, I only made 2 hands > 1 pair in 9 hours (not counting 44 on a KK9 flop, etc). I want you to analyze this hand from villain's perspective.

100/200/25. You limp UTG, with about 25K behind. 4 more limpers come in. BB, a young, fairly conservative player wearing a PokerStars baseball jersey raises to 1500.

Range to call here? Range to reraise?

You call and everyone folds. Flop is 833 rainbow. BB checks. You bet 4K. BB goes allin for 12K total.

Range to call here?

Thanks for any feedback on the hand, or any help on dealing with LAGs to your left when you aren't making hands.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Help me deal with LAGs to my left

range to limp UTG for me with this table dynamic is AQo+, any pair, and so that's what I'm building my range off of. Not sure if you think folding is an option based on your original post, but limping UTG and then having to re-evaluate whether to call or fold = ugh.

Range to reraise = QQ-AA, AK+

Range to bet flop of 833 after it's checked to me = 77-AA. I check any non-pair through because betting there is horrible and his action screams checkraise regardless of whether he needed to improve.

Range to call reraise are quads, boat and JJ+. TT is probably a fold, 99 is getting slaughtered here.

As for dealing with LAGs on your left you have several options

1) pick out a spot where you can run a check-raise bluff with a high success rate on a safe flop to get them back into line, and show it down after everyone folds (a la MLG's bluff against Evelyn Ng)

2) generally value check-raise more than value betting

3) don't make blocking bets, in general the laggier the player, the better play a check/call is than a bet/fold with marginal hands.

4) get to showdown/pot control
Old 08-16-2006, 05:34 PM

also, no matter what your hand is, what the hell are you doing betting 1x the pot on this flop vs. 1/2 the pot

a big blind raise like this isn't usually a steal, especially given your read of the player and the fact that you had limped UTG. BB's range is miniscule in my opinion, probably something like TT+, AQo+.

edit: unless you specifically have AA.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:42 PM

bc-thanks for the reply.

I like the general tips, and that's kind of what I was trying.

In the hand I posted, LAG villain is UTG, I am the BB. I was wondering about some lines on this hand, and wanted to see how my assumption's are of UTG's range.

I can't envision myself limping 200, being followed by 3 other limpers and the SB, then calling 1500 from the BB with many hands. If he's marginal, he could get reraised, and he just called 8.5xBB OOP. If he's monster, he could create a 4 way 10K pot preflop. Yum.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 PM

well, since you say now that villain is UTG LAG, that certainly changes his range. I would widen it to any suited connector down to 78s, KQo+ and the pairs.

When you say what is MY range for limping UTG...different story lol
Old 08-16-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, since you say now that villain is UTG LAG, that certainly changes his range. I would widen it to any suited connector down to 78s, KQo+ and the pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the confusion, lol. OK, so tricky LAG limps UTG, how much of this range is he calling the 1500 with, with 3 limpers behind? All of it? How much of it is he betting the 4K on the pot with? Calling the 12K push?

Maybe we need to get nath in here, ha.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the confusion, lol. OK, so tricky LAG limps UTG, how much of this range is he calling the 1500 with, with 3 limpers behind? All of it? How much of it is he betting the 4K on the pot with? Calling the 12K push?

Maybe we need to get nath in here, ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tricky lags will do anything with suited connectors and even suited one-gappers and unsuited connectors all the time. That's why they are tricky lags. I like your check raise with almost any premium hand, paired or not, now that I understand the roles. You are probably at worst drawing to live overcards, if not slaughtering him.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:07 PM

i NEVER open limp in the ante rounds but PF action could literally be any pair, suited connector, suited ace, big ace, two big cards, etc etc
Old 08-16-2006, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i NEVER open limp in the ante rounds but PF action could literally be any pair, suited connector, suited ace, big ace, two big cards, etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you would call with any of this vs the raise from the BB, with relative position?

What are you willing to call the c/r on the flop with? Pot is 24K and it is 12K to you. Flop 833r, BB raised to 1500 pre, check-jammed the flop.

Edit to add: How often do you bet this flop when BB checks? And happy birthday!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:37 PM

wanted to bring this up one time to get calling ranges for a typical tricky LAG to this c/r.