Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:58 PM

Default need ideas for new weightlifting routine/split

in the past my exercise has consisted almost entirely of lifting. thus, i could create a split that focused on lifting and i didn't have to worry about anythign else interfering. now that i've started playing lacrosse again, though, i'm in foreign territory. help me with ideas for a new split/routine. here are the criteria:

1) emphasis on free weights and compound lifts.
2) assume i play lacrosse on sundays, and either friday or saturday. so, i'm looking for a reasonably flexible 3-day split that i can do during the week.
3) individual workouts must not last more than 1 hour.
4) no more than one workout per day.
5) no cleans, jerks, clean & jerks, etc (not because i don't like them as exercises, but only because i've never been trained in how to do them and they're the kind of exercises that can mess you up if you do them wrong).
6) if you even mention crap like arnold presses or concentration curls i will slap you.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Re: need ideas for new weightlifting routine/split

[ QUOTE ]
1) emphasis on free weights and compound lifts....

6) if you even mention crap like arnold presses or concentration curls i will slap you.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lifter after my own heart. I keep saying it but one more time won't hurt:

Deads
Squats
Bench

5x5

3 days a week
Old 10-12-2005, 10:04 PM

Doing that split 3x a week will get you nowhere. Try a basic powerlifting 3-day split that has a bench day, squat day, and DL day. If you're looking for strength, this is the best split.

Also, there's nothing better for the rotator cuff than Arnold presses. Isolation exercises help make compound movements more powerful.

Also, get some instruction in the olympic lifts-- you'll be amazed at how much power you develop.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, get some instruction in the olympic lifts-- you'll be amazed at how much power you develop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the only pasrt oif this post that wasn't asinine.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:30 PM

lax days = fri, sat, sund. lets say you need 1 days rest post sunday and 1-2 days rest pre friday to be well rested. id say doing workouts tues and wed, resting monday and thursday. during your sport's season, you should not be focusing on building up strength, but rather only maintenence workouts
Old 10-12-2005, 10:30 PM

To be fair, jake, if he's scared of the clean or clean and jerk, the squat is a much more technical and dangerous lift, and it takes a lot longer to get it down. It's a great exercise, but it sounds like he doesn't want to do lifts that take a lot of technique and is afraid of injury. In that case, the squat's out.

I'd definitely stick with the deadlift, though. It's a better exercise than the squat, is easier to do correctly, with a minimum of training, is a full-body movement that will greatly increase overall strength, and will result in the release of growth hormone because of all the stress it puts on the skeletal structure and lots of large muscles and supporting muscles in the core.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be fair, jake, if he's scared of the clean or clean and jerk, the squat is a much more technical and dangerous lift, and it takes a lot longer to get it down. It's a great exercise, but it sounds like he doesn't want to do lifts that take a lot of technique and is afraid of injury.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but it's also a much more common exercise. I was making the assumption that since lucas lifts regularly, he's probably done squats.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 PM

Haha, askin for lifting advice on a poker forum [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) Check out t-nation.com, they are the 2+2 of bodybuilding and nutrition. I'm sure a lot of other 2+2ers would agree with my analogy.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:38 PM

Jake, care to explain what about my post made no sense? Doing bench 3x a week, DL 3x a week, and squat 3x a week for 5 sets of 80+% 1RM on each rep has SERIOUS ovetraining written all over it unless you're juicing. The body simply can't recover that quickly.

And ben, strength maintenance is usually pretty similar to a bodybuilder's cutting cycle. A maintenance split really should not look all that different. In order to keep hypertrophy going, you need to continue lifting at the same intensity, but you're probably not going to gain strength because of a caloric deficit in your diet. Gaining strength while losing weight is very rare for people that are not complete novices, or complete fatties.

I'm really not trying to start a war here, but you really don't sound like you have any idea what you're talking about. Squats are about 5x easier to learn than most olympic lifts. Back straight, right angle formed with the knees, head up, and steady movements are all squatting takes. Try a clean and jerk and you've got about 15 other things to do to make it a good lift.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:41 PM

Taking one-two days and $100 to learn cleans, jerks, etc., will be more beneficial than spending those days doing normal lifts and spending $100 on those hookers.

Seriously, those are the best lifts in the room, although your local help will be better able to tell you how good they are in-season.
Closed Thread