Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Here\'s what I got from Ga Senator regarding HR4411...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With that being said, either you are an idiot, or you are just trying to instigate action.

[/ QUOTE ]

To quote the PPA president, who I think knows a hell of a lot more about the gravity of this situation than you or anybody else on here, "I am not a doomsayer, but I think it truly amazing that poker players just assume that the IG legislation will just go away, as some unheard voice of reasonableness will just come down and spite this legislation."

This bill passed in the House by an overwhelming margin. What makes you think that it won't pass in the Senate by the same margin? You can be in denial all you want to, but the reality is that this bill has a very good chance of becoming law next month, and you're the idiot if you refuse to believe that.

This isn't rocket science. Surely you aren't that ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're basing your opinion on. You've quoted the PPA president, who has an interest in rallying the troops. Do you think it would be good for him to say he doesn't think it will pass even if he thought that?

And Frist, one of the main backers of the bill put it high on his priority list.

That's what your basing your opinion on?

The real concern to me and others in the business (which I'm in the business by the way) is that this bill will come up again. It's unlikely to pass right now, but the real goal is to keep it from coming up again.

Passing the House only means so much. Bills pass the House, but never make it through the Senate quite often. The second vote is always much harder because the voters now know if they pass it, it will actually become law. The House can just vote it over to the Senate for them to debate.

I don't think there is no chance this bill passes, but I think this time around we may make it through, but there will be another time down the road.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frist is one of the main backers of the plan, so of course it's on his top list. Do you want me to list the senators who do not have this bill in their top 3?

"Some lawyer" lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

And do you want me to list the number of senators who are Majority Leader and can call the shots?

The many will probably run for President. He needs to have 'his' priotities come up for a vote. Bet against it at your own risk!

---Leavenfish
TN resident
Old 08-16-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you're basing your opinion on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's absolutely amazing. Let me spell it out for you one more time.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the House passed it by a huge margin, the Majority Leader of the United States Senate has made it one of his top priorities, a number of other senators openly support it (including one of your own senators), the President of the United States supports it, and the leader of the PPA who is lobbying against it is very concerned that it will become law. How much more evidence do you need?!

What are you basing your opinion on, other than your own hopes, dreams, and delusions?

I'm finished arguing about this. All I do is keep repeating myself for people like you who act like they have no reading comprehension. Believe what you want to believe. I honestly don't care one way or the other.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:48 PM

I think we're all after the same thing here. None of us want this bill to pass because it hurts us financially and takes away a source of enjoyment if it does. We obviously disagree about the likelyhood of passage and about the consequences of said passage, but ultimately we're all [censored] to some degree or another if this passes.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Frist is one of the main backers of the plan, so of course it's on his top list. Do you want me to list the senators who do not have this bill in their top 3?

"Some lawyer" lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

And do you want me to list the number of senators who are Majority Leader and can call the shots?

The many will probably run for President. He needs to have 'his' priotities come up for a vote. Bet against it at your own risk!

---Leavenfish
TN resident

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, I didn't realize the majority leader called the shots. Why even have a vote? I now realize you are from Tennessee and Frist is you man.

Let's settle this like men. You want to bet on it? $5,000 says it doesn't pass. How much do you believe what you're saying?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Some lawyer" lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

---Leavenfish
TN resident

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only one majority leader of the united states senate, and that is frist.

"do you want me to list the number of senators who are Majority Leader"

Yes, that would actually be amazing if you could do that. I now realize the morons I'm dealing with here. That's one of the most retarded sentences I've ever read. Thanks for trying, but you sir obviously have no clue.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you're basing your opinion on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's absolutely amazing. Let me spell it out for you one more time.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that the House passed it by a huge margin, the Majority Leader of the United States Senate has made it one of his top priorities, a number of other senators openly support it (including one of your own senators), the President of the United States supports it, and the leader of the PPA who is lobbying against it is very concerned that it will become law. How much more evidence do you need?!

What are you basing your opinion on, other than your own hopes, dreams, and delusions?

I'm finished arguing about this. All I do is keep repeating myself for people like you who act like they have no reading comprehension. Believe what you want to believe. I honestly don't care one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I mentioned to the other poster, we can settle this like men. I'll bet you $1,000 right now. If you don't take the bet you have to shut your mouth.

You're basis shows you don't have a clue how the process works. You think because it passed the house, it will pass the senate. This is obviously the first vote you've ever followed. The US Gov has been trying to pass a bill since 1997, welcome to the game moron.

$1,000 or shut it.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 PM

Good lord, stop this petty bickering.

Anyone who takes your 1:1 bet is a retard. I'd even be wary of taking it 1:4. Stop this childish posturing. It makes zero differnce and I feel like I'm steping in between a pissing contest between two high school kids.

If you guys have anything more productive to add to this thread, please do so. If not, please refrain from wasting everyone's time.

FYI - I was unable to find a copy of the letter mentioned in the OP. Will continue to try this week, but so many people are out of town it may be harder than I had hoped.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2006, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone who takes your 1:1 bet is a retard. I'd even be wary of taking it 1:4. Stop this childish posturing. It makes zero differnce and I feel like I'm steping in between a pissing contest between two high school kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I teach high school and your assessment is accurate...

However, since I am not at school right now...

<----- drops popcorn and reads another thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]