Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 10:31 AM

Default Big Blind Basic Strategy (NL SNG)

Can anyone recommend a basic strategy for raising, checking, reraising, and folding for the big blind during the deepstack (first two) levels of a NL SNG?

I tried to get ideas from HOH2 but it only covers BB strategy for when the Ms are already very low as in the case of a full table or multitable tournament that has come down to heads up. It does say that due to the fact that you have positional disadvantage that you should therefore raise with the intention of ending the hand. Otherwise play conservatively. And he actually has advice on what hands to raise or reraise with. But the advice does not apply to the first two levels of a heads up sng.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Big Blind Basic Strategy (NL SNG)

You're correct in that Harrington on Hold'Em is very different than NL SNGs. That deep stacks make all the difference.

So, what do you do from the big blind? If your opponent is raising a lot of hands I'd loosen up my starting requirements and frequently call with my suited connectors, especially if he's just raising to 3x. You have to re-raise occasionally with these hands. If the flop comes with high cards you can bet out and you'll likely take it down. If you smack your 78s or whatever, you can play it how you'd like.

The mistake I see most in players is calling out of position, then check-calling the flop with a mediocre hand. You get into a lot of trouble this way. Play aggressively and do it from the button and you'll play HU SNGs a lot better.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Big Blind Basic Strategy (NL SNG)

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone recommend a basic strategy for raising, checking, reraising, and folding for the big blind during the deepstack (first two) levels of a NL SNG?

I tried to get ideas from HOH2 but it only covers BB strategy for when the Ms are already very low as in the case of a full table or multitable tournament that has come down to heads up. It does say that due to the fact that you have positional disadvantage that you should therefore raise with the intention of ending the hand. Otherwise play conservatively. And he actually has advice on what hands to raise or reraise with. But the advice does not apply to the first two levels of a heads up sng.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have many (handwritten) notes on HU SNG play. Although they were written quite a while ago, and I'm much better now, I'll throw out what I had written:

From BB: Conservative strategy:
Raise {AJo+, ATs+, KQ, 99+}, reraise/AI {AKo*, AQs+**, 88+*}
*These hands will commonly be a coinflip, but are more likely to be dominating than dominated
**AQ is really tricky, use with caution.

I've since adopted a more postflop-friendly style of play, so I nearly always raise only with a hand I'm willing to go all in with. I don't see myself wanting to get all the money in with 88 anymore. That was quite a while ago.