Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Stars Chat Warning ???!!!????

[ QUOTE ]
I find chat such as yours offensive. It is both obscene and a directly aggressive attack on the recipient - neither of which is acceptable behaviour. Your chat has no redeeming feature whatsoever (it's not like you actually said something pithy that readers could enjoy).

It is a sad comment on many societies that such boorishness is tolerated, to the extent that the boor in question (you) even feels aggrieved by a reprimanded.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people like you, so I am frequently forced to put up with. It is, clearly, part of your culture.

Fortunately it is not part of mine.

I applaud the site's stance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh puh-lease.

Get over yourself and your grand New Zealand "culture".

You are insulting an entire country in this post for what reason?

Who's the boor?

Jerk. I hope you find this offensive.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sandra probably has an avatar of a fugly baby or an old 3-legged dog.

*** SHOW DOWN ***
xxxxxxxxx: shows [7s Ah As 8d] (HI: a full house, Aces full of Queens)
davebreal: mucks hand
xxxxxxxxx collected $39 from pot
No low hand qualified
davebreal said, "f'er"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $41 | Rake $2
Board [Ac Th Td Qh Qs]

If someone is really offended by this, first of all I'd like to sincerely apologize, 2nd of all please give me your mailing address so that I can give you the most recent issue of Hustler for restitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have learned to overlook this infantile stuff but I still applaud Poker Stars for being proactive with it. You wouldn't get away with this at a B&M table, so why should you online? Not everyone at the table is some juvenile punk who thinks this stuff is funny and cute.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have learned to overlook this infantile stuff but I still applaud Poker Stars for being proactive with it. You wouldn't get away with this at a B&M table, so why should you online? Not everyone at the table is some juvenile punk who thinks this stuff is funny and cute.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem - it's not even funny. It produces an uncomfortable sense of embarrassment in the reader that a grown up man could seriously suppose that these juvenile taunts could have any effect at all other than to expose the poverty of his own imagination and vocabulary.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:54 PM

If somebody is offended by the word (not even a word) "f'er", then you need to get out more.

I've been called far worse and I don't write poetry about it or cry my eyes out to Poker Stars.

It doesn't even seem like it was said in malice. It wasn't as if it was part of a string of insults said by davebreal.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sandra probably has an avatar of a fugly baby or an old 3-legged dog.

*** SHOW DOWN ***
xxxxxxxxx: shows [7s Ah As 8d] (HI: a full house, Aces full of Queens)
davebreal: mucks hand
xxxxxxxxx collected $39 from pot
No low hand qualified
davebreal said, "f'er"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $41 | Rake $2
Board [Ac Th Td Qh Qs]

If someone is really offended by this, first of all I'd like to sincerely apologize, 2nd of all please give me your mailing address so that I can give you the most recent issue of Hustler for restitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously havent played a 2p2 table before.

Like if one of my friends comes over....I answer the door...
"Hey whats up Dbag?"
"Not much pudsmack"

Im sure if someone was watching they wouldnt be offended by me calling my friend a Dbag. Get off your tower....and Ive seen FAR worse at BandM tables. Heck Ive seen far worse on ESPN WSOP.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't get away with this at a B&M table

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i guess you're 100% correct, I'd be hauled off for life without parole.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
I find chat such as yours offensive. It is both obscene and a directly aggressive attack on the recipient - neither of which is acceptable behaviour. Your chat has no redeeming feature whatsoever (it's not like you actually said something pithy that readers could enjoy).

It is a sad comment on many societies that such boorishness is tolerated, to the extent that the boor in question (you) even feels aggrieved by a reprimanded.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people like you, so I am frequently forced to put up with. It is, clearly, part of your culture.

Fortunately it is not part of mine.

I applaud the site's stance.

Oh puh-lease.

Get over yourself and your grand New Zealand "culture".

You are insulting an entire country in this post for what reason?

Who's the boor?

Jerk. I hope you find this offensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake for not being clearer. By "societies" I did not mean all of America. I would have written "America" had I meant that.

Firstly there are many societies/cultures with America. Some have great merit, some (such as those who use such chat) do not.

Secondly, I never gave any thought to whether the OP was American or not. He was simply a member of the international society of little boys with big mouths.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:39 PM

Sandra, you are one of my favorite posters, but here you are over-reacting. Surely, some societies call for certain respect guidelines. But, we all are not all so rescrictive when we are casual.

Many languages have constraints built in. Actually most all languages outside of english do.

I think that we all have to learn to accept all of the harmless aspects of "foreign" societies.

However. I do not think it is nice for black people to call each other the N word. I would not think it is nice for women to call each other the B word, nor do I often see it, but I have heard it.

There should really be no offense taken with certain ways and mannerisms.

It is funny. My freind from germany nor my friend from Australia didn't understand Americans use of nicknames. I explained to them that these are our way of showing affection. Where-as the germans and the russians use certain titles for respect. Although it may seem strange to call your freind e'fer, it, don't confuse it with u'fa.

Mind you, I do not approve of the sort of behavior in the chat box, I just made a post yesterday about this. But I can read the box and understand when someone is being casual.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sandra, you are one of my favorite posters, but here you are over-reacting. Surely, some societies call for certain respect guidelines. But, we all are not all so rescrictive when we are casual.

Many languages have constraints built in. Actually most all languages outside of english do.

I think that we all have to learn to accept all of the harmless aspects of "foreign" societies.

However. I do not think it is nice for black people to call each other the N word. I would not think it is nice for women to call each other the B word, nor do I often see it, but I have heard it.

There should really be no offense taken with certain ways and mannerisms.

It is funny. My freind from germany nor my friend from Australia didn't understand Americans use of nicknames. I explained to them that these are our way of showing affection. Where-as the germans and the russians use certain titles for respect. Although it may seem strange to call your freind e'fer, it, don't confuse it with u'fa.

Mind you, I do not approve of the sort of behavior in the chat box, I just made a post yesterday about this. But I can read the box and understand when someone is being casual.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with nearly everything you've written (a mutual appreciation society?). I also shudder at the use of the N & B words you described.

Whether offense is intended is a significant issue to consider. As is whether the recipient could be offended (regardless of whether it was intended or not), and whether any 'spectators' could also be offended.

If the two direct participants know each other well, they can PM each other with all the aggressively obscene appellations they want. But to do so in a channel which is being viewed by any number of unknown people, a proportion of which can quite reasonably expect to be offended, is inconsiderate and immature.

For instance, two players might be good friends, and both are N and B, but if one of them called the other a N B in a chat, that would be offensive and should be penalised by the site - because it offends the 'spectators'.

It is very much a matter of degree and judgment as to what is acceptable in the context. There are situations in which I wouldn't dream of saying "damn", as it would offend many of the people around me. There are other circumstances where I don't give a second's thought to saying the OP's first word (I had typed it here, but the preview showed it as "[censored]").

In my opinion a poker table's chat box, because you don't know the sensibilities of the people reading it, should be treated with caution.

And it's not as if those four 'digits' had any merit is it? An dirty joke might offend some people, but maybe it brings more happiness than offense, so maybe it's justifiable. The OP's chat had no positive merit, and some negative, so it shouldn't have been made.

Segueing somewhat. I wonder about the psychological effects on both the 'senders' and 'receivers' of prolonged negative language. I suspect it does signficant harm, and cannot imagine that it does any good. For example, what does it do to womens' self-respect, and respect of others, if they continually refer to each other as "bitches"? I say, bring back "girlfriend" - much nicer.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't get away with this at a B&M table

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i guess you're 100% correct, I'd be hauled off for life without parole.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vegas wouldn't want the money of somebody who swore at a poker table once.