Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 05:02 PM

Default my brush with douche-ness

cliff notes at the end

i sit down at a 0.25/0.50 NL 6max table at Absolute last night. there's already some table talk - "SKILLZ4U2NV" is calling some other guy a donk, the other guy is saying SKILLZ sucks, blah blah whatever. The blind comes around and this is my first hand:

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $61.10
UTG+1: $29.45
CO: $97.40
Button: $27.25
SKILLZ4U2NV: $43
hero: $50

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, SKILLZ4U2NV calls, hero checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SKILLZ4U2NV bets $1</font>, hero calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SKILLZ4U2NV bets $2.5</font>, hero calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($8, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SKILLZ4U2NV bets $3.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $10.5</font>, SKILLZ4U2NV calls.

Results:
Final pot: $29
hero Shows 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SKILLZ4U2NV mucks (J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])
hero wins ($27.55) with Flush, ace high

the guy blows up after this. donk this, donk that, etc. AP doesn't put chat into their hand histories so this is from memory, but his basic points were:

1. i'm a fish
2. everyone at the $0.50 tables sucks
3. points 1 and 2 a few more times
4. this is where it gets good - he doesn't know why he wastes his time at these tables, now that he's famous from placing 124th in the WSOP main event

clearly it's time to sit out at my other tables and do some research. sure enough, SKILLZ4U2NV is Tyler Pendleton, who won his way into the ME via $2 super satellite and ended up taking home $51,129.

this announcement changes the whole table demeanor. he still takes jabs at how bad we are, but noone is talking [censored] to him anymore. A solid player compliments him twice for making a good laydown (the second one he dropped AK on a 789 flop... toughest fold evah??), following it up with "you seem to make very good laydowns".

watching him more closely the guy isn't horrible (although he butchered the hand above), but he wasn't one of the better players at the table either. over the next 50 hands he drops the rest of his buy-in. Thankfully the smaller his stack got the less he talked, and after losing the last of it he left without a word.

cliff notes:
-douchebag berates table, plays a hand badly against hero and loses, berates table some more
-douchebag announces he placed 124th in the ME this year
-table is awestruck at his awesomeness, even though he continues to berate them
-douchebag keeps playing badly and loses his stack, then leaves

edit - added cliff notes, fixed link
Old 08-15-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Re: my brush with douche-ness

[ QUOTE ]
The requested URL /124Tyler Pendleton was not found on this server.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've played with this guy on AP in the past and he was a douche every time. I guess a brush with fame certainly didn't improve his disposition at all.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 PM

Playing devils advocate here, so please don't take this the wrong way and go on forum tilt, lol.

Also, I totaly know what your getting on about, as we've all been there bud
"How could so-and-so say such things after my rock solid hand just beat them?" Been there, done that. lol.

BUT:

Like has been said MANY times in the past:
'There is a fine line in poker between looking like a genius, and looking like a complete moron.'

So, long story short, you just thought you'd pay-off a player with overcards because you catch a MASSIVE 4, and low and behold, instead of making one of those "good laydowns", your calling-station ways pay off by a fluke of nature?

We've all been there Really no big deal.
Its called a suckout, NOT skill in any way, lol.
We all dish it out, and take it every day/night.

.....except for the little fact that he DOES have us beat by being able to buy-into the ME, apparently, AND he made the money.

Can you say the same? No? Neither can I... at least not at the ME.

So why not just listen to someone who is doing much better than you/us, instead of getting so frustrated that you just GOTTA post your side of the girly chatbox story online for the entire poker community to see?

LOL, even IF he was steaming, there's GOT to be some shred of intelect in the chat-box gibberish/obseneties you can gleam from him?
Maybe? ....I wasnt there so we'll never know.

Anyhoo, these were just the random first thoughts as I read your post.
I know your on tilt a bit, so again, I'm just playing devils advocate here, so please don't take this the wrong way

....except for the 34 sooooted part, hehe, that one is still making me laugh... NH.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:13 PM

i couldnt care less about what anyone said about my style of play unless it was constructive.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Good point
Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i couldnt care less about what anyone said about my style of play unless it was constructive.

[/ QUOTE ]

me either. we all see this same conversation happen every day. it was the "i'm a WSOP star now, you guys are scrubs" that made this one fun/interesting.

ragecg, that hand is very standard, against an unknown i play it the same way every time.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing devils advocate here, so please don't take this the wrong way and go on forum tilt, lol.

"How could so-and-so say such things after my rock solid hand just beat them?" Been there, done that. lol.

BUT:

'There is a fine line in poker between looking like a genius, and looking like a complete moron.'

So, long story short, you just thought you'd pay-off a player with overcards because you catch a MASSIVE 4, and low and behold, instead of making one of those "good laydowns", your calling-station ways pay off by a fluke of nature?

.....except for the little fact that he DOES have us beat by being able to buy-into the ME, apparently, AND he made the money.

So why not just listen to someone who is doing much better than you/us, instead of getting so frustrated that you just GOTTA post your side of the girly chatbox story online for the entire poker community to see?

LOL, even IF he was steaming, there's GOT to be some shred of intelect in the chat-box gibberish/obseneties you can gleam from him?

I know your on tilt a bit, so again, I'm just playing devils advocate here, so please don't take this the wrong way

....except for the 34 sooooted part, hehe, that one is still making me laugh... NH.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't go on forum tilt or anything, but your writing "style" just gave me a massive migrane.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:27 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

[ QUOTE ]

BUT:

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this guy trying to say that OP played his hand poorly and sucks at poker, and should listen to the idiot who definitely played his hand extremely poorly? And is the justification for this because the idiot most likely luckboxed his way into a 50k payout at the main event?

If so, lol.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BUT:

[/ QUOTE ]

wow this post is so dumb it hurts...
Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 AM

so if you bad beated me, I berated you and said I finished 99th in the WSOP ME and told you my name was Paul Coles, would you automatically believe me?

I realize maybe his Card Player profile and his PP account may have both had the same city name, but thats definitely not gonna convince me