Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 01:36 PM

Default \"Blushed\" turn, fire again river?

Growing pains while learning LAG style.

Trying to get more aggressive and win some 'undeserved' hands. I can only beat a bluff on the river, and I'd have to go all in to get the fold. His bet smells like a blocker, or a turn call hoping to bluff a paired river. Anyone do the river bluff?

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $50.90
UTG+1: $272.94
MP1: $19.35
MP2: $50
MP3: $38.79
Hero: $62.10
Button: $6.18
SB: $54.46
BB: $62.52

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $1.25</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: ($5.25, 4 players)
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($5.25, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $3</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $13.23</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls.

River: ($31.71, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $10</font>,
Old 08-15-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: \"Blushed\" turn, fire again river?

At these levels, I find that your fold equity is near zero - try the bluff raise on the turn if you like, but I'd give up after that. These players often won't lay down top pair to a raise, let alone 2 pair.
Also - try not to credit your opponent with too many levels of thinking - him hoping for a board pair to bluff you sounds to me like a bit of an ambitious play. A raise on the river would be suicidal as too often you will be up against the FH.
Also if you want to play lag, what about, a) repopping PF? (b), betting the flop?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:46 PM

This does not look like a good spot without a strong read. For many foes 1/3 pot here is a value bet vs. a flush, not a blocking bet.

However, a large caveat is that I can only think of a small range of hands where foe checks the flop, calls your turn raise, and then fills on the river. Set of sixes or eights that didn't want to face a draw-heavy turn OOP seems most likely, but why donk-bet the turn? TJQhKh and TTxx are possible but improbable. So your chances may be better than average here, since foe could just be attempting a play on the paired river with KhXhxx.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:20 PM

KhXh is a likely hand - but will villain lay it down - especially with hero raising the turn? He just thinks, if he has Kxh, oh great, villain has a flush on turn, I'm winning, and on the river he will call, 9 times out of ten.
Of course, he may have called on the turn with just AA/KK. I think a bluff river raise is very player dependent and the more donkish the foe, the less of a percentage play it becomes.
I just think there are better spots to bluff.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:45 PM

Good valid points, especially at this 'level.' I appreciate the responses.

I didn't repop flop becuase I can't see too many hands I'm that far ahead. I'm currently working with a mentor and working on post flop aggressiveness, so I guess that's the nature of my focus.

As far as the flop goes, I really hit nothing, its a relatively draw heavy board, and I was looking to claim hearts as my outs. Therefore, betting out didn't seem a good option as I was building a pot as a huge underdog and I didn't feel I'd have as good of fold equity as if I check called and bet a heart.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:49 PM

Exactly. What the hell is he doing in this hand? I can't see 66 or 88 donk betting then calling. A st8 isn't calling, then potting a paired turn.

But as youdid what points out, the next level is I have to not only put him as a donk, but one that will fold. Is this the type of play I have to reserve for higher limits?