Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Is it still a \"suckout\" even if the card was free?

Nope, He would be sucking out on you. Whoever has the advantage when ALL THE MONEY gets in, and ends up loosing takes the bad beat. Alot of people dont realize this. He played his pocket K's very badly.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:25 PM

The phrase "suckout" is really overused. A suckout is really when a single card and only that cared (at most 4 card i.e. a gut shot) can turn a second best card into the winning hand.

Once I played pocket deuces on the cut-off after 8 limpers entered a 4/8 game. The buton called, the SB completed and the BB checked.

The flop came K 2 2 giving me quads. The B bets and everyone folds to me and I raise. The Button and SB both fold and the BB reraises, I reraise, he caps it. We both cap the turn (a blank) and on the river bet (another blank) we go 8 rounds of betting before he says "you can only beat me if you have pocket twos" and then calls my last raise

I show my quads and he starts complaining while I rake in an insane pot.

Finally, he turns and says "How can you bet into me, I had pocket Kings"

I shrug and say "You should've raised preflop"

He keeps jawing and complaining until finally I say "Look that pot was lesson one, post the SB and we'll start lesson two"

He played poorly and wants to say you sucked out to save face from his poor play
Old 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM

Certainly the big blind played abysmally not to raise KK for value (not to limit the field, not at fixed-limit). But I certainly hope he wasn't going to get you off of 22 with that many limpers! (There couldn't have been eight, though, unless you were playing 12-handed.)

Postflop you both played fine until about the 4th or 5th raise. At some point he has to start thinking he's against the nuts and call down, even if it's the two case deuces. (Then again, I'm a donk because once with 76 for the nut straight, I finally called after about 7 or 8 raises, thinking we couldn't possible not be tied, instead of taking more from a bare six.)

Why was there a cap on the turn?