Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Back to school, back to school...

I'm going back to the same large west coast public university that I attended right out of high school (from 18 to 20, and I'll be 27 in the Fall). It's not that I'll be old for an undergrad, but I'll be somewhat older for a "traditional" undergrad... meaning I won't be working (other than poker), and I'll be fairly involved in an intercollegiate sport and other on-campus activities.

I was just hoping to hear from people who (re)enrolled in campus after a long hiatus from high school or the first time around at college. I know that I actually give a [censored] about school in a way I never could have at 18, and the impetus to do well this time isn't monetary. Thanks for any advice/thoughts on being an "older" student.

-Dan
Old 08-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Back to school, back to school...

i didnt attend college until 6 years after high school, and im really glad i didnt. im sure i do better in class as a result. as long as u dont act like jerkoff it will be a blast. u are older, more mature, and generally more wise than your student counterparts. my advice is to enjoy it, and maintain the attitude that learning and doing well is important...
Old 08-13-2006, 10:38 PM

I'm kinda in the same place DanS. I went to jr. college right out of HS, got my associate's degree, then went to a 4 yr for 3 semesters mostly dicking around and barely doing enough to get by. I quit and worked for a few years and I go back next week; I'm 26 now and paying for it myself also, poker is only income.

FWIW, my roomie at Mizzou a few years ago was like >35 and we were in the dorms just cause it was easy. He caught a few strange looks, but he was outgoing and personable so it wasnt an issue at all.

I dont expect any age issues and I'm going to try to fit in by hitting on as many 19 year old coeds as possible...
Old 08-15-2006, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda in the same place DanS. I went to jr. college right out of HS, got my associate's degree, then went to a 4 yr for 3 semesters mostly dicking around and barely doing enough to get by. I quit and worked for a few years and I go back next week; I'm 26 now and paying for it myself also, poker is only income.

FWIW, my roomie at Mizzou a few years ago was like >35 and we were in the dorms just cause it was easy. He caught a few strange looks, but he was outgoing and personable so it wasnt an issue at all.

I dont expect any age issues and I'm going to try to fit in by hitting on as many 19 year old coeds as possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, thanks. I can pass for 21-22ish if I keep the self-deprecating age jokes to a minimum. I can't [censored] wait: no classes before 10 or after 3, and my schedule is interesting and simple: Italian, Social Research, Intro to Beer Brewing, and Sports and Society. Plus 19 year old girls... mmmmm.

-Dan
Old 08-15-2006, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I still get carded buying booze when I'm cleanly shaved, which I'm going to be, so I wont look out of place. My schedule is alright; I only go tues/thurs, but I'm there from 930am to 715pm with a couple breaks.

I'm torn whether to get a laptop and instal PT to do session reviews 3hrs/day(which would get boring) or just head over to the music building and jump on one of the practice pianos.

I have help in the coed department, my stepbro is a freshman at the same school and he's gonna be living in the dorms. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The Intro to Beer Brewing sounds pretty interesting though.