Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Re: How much did Jamie Gold tip the dealers?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't really matter. Given the extremely high vig charged by Harrahs, and the fact that 3% of each prize pool was supposed to be for the dealers, no tip is needed. And you're not a cheapskate for not tipping. It has been, or was supposed to have been, taken care of by Harrahs through the rake.

If the dealers weren't paid enough this year, then Harrahs screwed them, not the players.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

I read an article in the Las Vegas paper that said the dealers averaged $60 per hour during the WSOP preliminary events, and I'll bet they got more than that during the main event, so I don't know how they can claim that they weren't adequately paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

We didn't come anywhere near $60 hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize, if you were making $30/hr, you are still making more than the majority of the US population right? $30/hr comes out to ~$60k/year I believe.

You're dealing cards, not doing brain surgury.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:10 PM

i love how last year hachem was a scumbag for tipping a hundred, now it doesnt matter..
Old 08-14-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The amount that Gold, or anyone else, has tipped anyone for anything should be of absolutely no concern to you or any other 3rd party.

Guy A tipping Guy B for service X should only concern guy A and B.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreement.

I dont advertise what I tipped a bartender or waitress the other night, it's none of anyone's concern except the customer and the employee(s).
Old 08-14-2006, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not doing brain surgury.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] irony.

Clearly, renumeration isn't based on how hard the task is. Just ask Neo.

The thing I don't understand is why dealers don't make all the information public. It's hard for us as poker players to get a feel for whats going on re dealer pay when its all a secret. I think the dealers would have alot more success in achieving their goal with disclosure.

Tuco.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:42 PM

the fact i cant spell doesnt diminish the validity of my post. $30/hr (which I remember reading in a thread is about how much they're making), is GOOD money. You're doing a job that does not require that much skill, nor a degree....so why are you expecting to get paid more than jobs that do require them?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The thing I don't understand is why dealers don't make all the information public.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, they are not public figures. What they make from other players is none of anyone's business except that player and the dealer. Dealers are not just some machine or second class citizen that people can tell what to do and demand to know everything about their paycheck and so on. There is a thing called privacy in this country.

In retrospect, I dont go to Best Buy and pay more of less for an item just because the store manager is making X amount of dollars. If I chose to shop there, I take what comes with it. Same with poker players and dealers.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:50 PM

But if they're going to complain about it, and expect the winners to tip a % to make up for it, then they should in fact release how much they're making.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The thing I don't understand is why dealers don't make all the information public.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, they are not public figures. What they make from other players is none of anyone's business except that player and the dealer. Dealers are not just some machine or second class citizen that people can tell what to do and demand to know everything about their paycheck and so on. There is a thing called privacy in this country.

In retrospect, I dont go to Best Buy and pay more of less for an item just because the store manager is making X amount of dollars. If I chose to shop there, I take what comes with it. Same with poker players and dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-15-2006, 12:00 AM

$10/hr would be too much for an average quality dealer.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so why are you expecting to get paid more than jobs that do require them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, work on your reading comprehension. I'm not a dealer nor do I know what they expect. What I do know is that a person's wage can have little to do with how difficult their job is.

Tuco.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, they are not public figures.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But when they complain to the poker players that they are getting stiffed (which has happened alot in the last couple years) they would be better off telling the players what "getting stiffed" is.

[ QUOTE ]
Dealers are not just some machine or second class citizen that people can tell what to do and demand to know everything about their paycheck and so on. There is a thing called privacy in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think dealers get anywhere near the respect they deserve. They have to put up with a thousand guys like Grizzle and worse. But it's a two way street. If they are going to complain, get it out in the open.

I used to date dealer from Hollywood Park. She would bitch and whine when she only made $300 on her shift. Whine that the DC was giving preferential treatment to people from his county etc. The days she made $500 in tips were standard for her. I know hardly any are this selfish, but the point is that its all relative. If she was making $65 in tips on a shift I would have had sympathy for her. $300 is alot of money.

Tuco.
Closed Thread