Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Feel the pain

Had a few hours to kill before the Angels - Yankees game so logged onto Pacific Poker .

Changed my name to Jeter2 in honor of the great man and I played accordingly.

I was making the right moves at the right times and heading to a handy chip lead.

Then disaster struck and no not A-Flop.

I had 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and on the flop came another two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Everyone checked including me - I wanted to take it nice and slow.

The turn revealed another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The guy before me called and I raised. He went all-in and I called him.

What did he have J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

When you get two suited cards in the hole, you don't tend to think that anyone else has as well. Felt my 7 was good to go when it wasn't. Far from it. I tend to be more circumspect when four suited cards lie on the table but with just three I felt I had it.

Has this happened to anyone else before as well?

After that much like the Yankees, I limped for a bit before I was eliminated.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Feel the pain

How's Beck these days?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How's Beck these days?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is a Braves fan [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right? Of course it has!

Most recently, last week. B&M, I had 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Board was A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I lost to J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] x

I'm sure you'll get more examples or other readers won't bother. As I almost did. But it was recent and what the hell.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:21 PM

Old 10-11-2005, 03:55 PM

you had the BB? or why did you see the flop with 4h7h?

recently I made the flush on the turn (partypoker limit holdem $ 2/4). so did the other guy. I had Adxd. the other guy had Kdxd.....
Old 10-11-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding, right? Of course it has!

Most recently, last week. B&M, I had 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Board was A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I lost to J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] x

I'm sure you'll get more examples or other readers won't bother. As I almost did. But it was recent and what the hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it really funny that in replying to this awful post, you still didn't even come up with an example where you lost with three to the flush on the board as opposed to four...
Old 10-11-2005, 04:15 PM

Just what are the odds of another player having two cards of the same suit in the hole?

I so need to hang in the probability forum for...weeks but to my mind, it's 8/45 X7/45 or a 2.76 percent chance that should come to roughly 35 to 1?

I'm assuming you have two and there are three of that suit on the board thus potentially leaving 8, then 7 of that suit to chance.

If anyone knows the odds better, I'd love to hear it.

One might skew the probability a little higher if you know there are people out there who favor Ax or even Kx suited. ;~)
Old 10-11-2005, 06:00 PM

I'm sure you'll be back to win the next one.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Had a few hours to kill before the Angels - Yankees game so logged onto Pacific Poker .

Changed my name to Jeter2 in honor of the great man and I played accordingly.

I was making the right moves at the right times and heading to a handy chip lead.

Then disaster struck and no not A-Flop.

I had 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and on the flop came another two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Everyone checked including me - I wanted to take it nice and slow.

The turn revealed another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The guy before me called and I raised. He went all-in and I called him.

What did he have J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

When you get two suited cards in the hole, you don't tend to think that anyone else has as well. Felt my 7 was good to go when it wasn't. Far from it. I tend to be more circumspect when four suited cards lie on the table but with just three I felt I had it.

After that much like the Yankees, I limped for a bit before I was eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Dave.