Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Re: New Software- IdleMiner

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about using PG and blocking is that if you block everything you'll actually make it impossible for the program to do certain things it has to do to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a little worried about this. What part of idleMiner needs the net? It's just detecting my activity and loading Party when I'm idle, right? That means Party has to access the net, but not idleWild.

I am psyched about the screen-saver aspect of this. I'd just like a little clarification on the security end.
-Sam
Old 08-14-2006, 04:06 PM

Have been using IdleMiner for a bit now and it's fantastic. I would definitely like to be able to stop it without closing out tables as I often use iWitness to aid in table selection. This is a must have feature in my opinion. I would also like to suggest being able to minimize it to the tray. Small thing, but would be nice and I imagine it would be pretty easy.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:09 PM

This seems to be working pretty well for me so far.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:13 PM

ProcessGuard can prevent IdleMiner from reading from the Party lobby, which means it cannot open tables. It has nothing to do with blocking IdleMiner from the net, which ProcessGuard cannot even do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

IdleMiner only uses the net to check for updates, one time, at startup, before it even loads PP.

Honestly its safe, I know that doesn't mean that much coming from us, but time will prove it.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:13 PM

We have a big update coming today, I'll try to push these in with the update.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Idleminer is desigend to be a datamining tool, not a table selection tool. It might be possible to put in an option to stop idleminer but not close party if it seems like alot of people desire something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same type of complaint for when it's in screensaver mode. Sometimes I'm only checking something like movie times online and having IdleMiner either paused or even still running in the background would be preferable.

A great idea, I'm 90% sold on it, but it needs a minor amount of tuning.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:24 PM

TheScientist,

That is a good idea. We will just have it pop up the main configuration window when you come out of screensaver mode so you can choose to stop it if you want or just let it keep going. Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That means Party has to access the net, but not idleWild.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-14-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That means Party has to access the net, but not idleWild.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny. I think my brain was stuck on the old unix screensaver with the blue or red lines that bounced around a black screen. I think it's called "IdleWild", but Google told me that I'm an idiot and it has no idea what I'm talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
ProcessGuard can prevent IdleMiner from reading from the Party lobby, which means it cannot open tables. It has nothing to do with blocking IdleMiner from the net, which ProcessGuard cannot even do

[/ QUOTE ]PG can't block IM from accessing the net, but my firewall can.

[ QUOTE ]
IdleMiner only uses the net to check for updates, one time, at startup, before it even loads PP.

[/ QUOTE ]If I block it, will it still work with the installed version? I'll be happier blocking this from calling home at all.
-Sam
Old 08-14-2006, 05:03 PM

No, the program will not run if it cannot check to see if there are available updates. We are trying to control what version people are using during the beta. The fact of the matter is any peice of software on your computer can do pretty much anything it wants too and it would be impossible for us to convince you otherwise on a forum. The best thing to look for would be credible members of this forum coming out in support of our software which has happend. If you are really worried about it doing something behind the scenes we recommend you wait until we have established more credibility.