Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 11:29 AM

Default TT in MP, Hand reading vs a TAGish Coldcall

Villian is TAGish pre-flop over small sample haven't seen anything postflop. PT stats of 14/7/2.6 over 41. Other coldcaller is 35/7/1.3 Who certainly doesn't mind peeling

As a note this is a Monster JP game so I give credit to the suited connector slightly more than I would normally.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

I assume the raiser here has a med pair(possibly now a set) a flush draw (with overs probably), straight draw(with A5s, or 89s), it's unlikely he has JJ-AA. I don't think his cap narrows his hand range much. The caller is probably on random overs(QJ,KJ, etc.) and will hopefully fold to a flop 3 bet.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

I hate to get raised here but the FD/OESD will probably check behind, and since a draw is more likely than a set I'm keeping the lead.

River: (10.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Unless he's planning on calling with A5s(which now paired) or a busted A high flush draw I don't see a bunch paying me off here, plus the straight draw got there. I check to let him bluff at it(something I don't do terribly often) and pick it off.

Overall what do you think about the hand and my reasoning?

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Old 08-14-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Re: TT in MP, Hand reading vs a TAGish Coldcall

[ QUOTE ]

I assume the raiser here has a med pair(possibly now a set) a flush draw (with overs probably), straight draw(with A5s, or 89s), it's unlikely he has JJ-AA. I don't think his cap narrows his hand range much. The caller is probably on random overs(QJ,KJ, etc.) and will hopefully fold to a flop 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a tight (aggressive) preflop cold caller. I'd think he most often does that on AQs, AJs, KQs and perhaps 88, 99. You raise from MP1 (is your image tight?) and the pot is smallish, so he has to respect that. I think the cap matters, if he had 99 wouldn't he want to call and raise on a blank turn? Also, your 3 bet indicates you weren't betting AK here, so he has to give credit for a potential higher pocket pair. Combining that with his cap, I think he either has a set, or he is betting two overcards with a flush draw for value (he is usually the favourite here with any of those AQs/AJs/KQs)
[ QUOTE ]

I hate to get raised here but the FD/OESD will probably check behind, and since a draw is more likely than a set I'm keeping the lead.

[/ QUOTE ]
He passively calls a blank turn. Yes, he is very likely on an overcard flush draw. Or he is going to call down his 99, but less likely.
[ QUOTE ]

Unless he's planning on calling with A5s(which now paired) or a busted A high flush draw I don't see a bunch paying me off here, plus the straight draw got there. I check to let him bluff at it(something I don't do terribly often) and pick it off.

Overall what do you think about the hand and my reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice. You have reasons to believe he has a busted draw; check and call is a good move then. He turned a straight with 88, which sucks. And you beat 99.

I like the hand. I'm thinking if there was a better way to protect your hand on the flop, but I doubt it. A check-raise would be very risky if they check behind, so betting out is good imo. The 3 bet is also ok (tho MP3 is a little weird, he gets essentially the same odds after the 3 bet and decides to fold now. This 3 bet didn't protect against any legitimate draw.) You would like to call the raise so you can check raise the turn, but this is too dangerous. In case it was a free card raise you can't afford to give him one. As you are going to bet out on the turn anyway, you might as well 3 bet now. It's probably the best way of protecting your hand you are going to get... not perfect, but at least better than the alternatives.