Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Re: simple hand

[ QUOTE ]

-Why the funny bet sizes (588, 1144)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Partypoker slider = teh suck

Also, this hand is really standard. Most people probably wouldn't bet river, but why not? This is early...people will call down with ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. As we've said, the only hands we're worried about are AQ/KQ, and those are a very small part of a limp/callers range. I expect to see something like Q7s here often enough.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:27 AM

Pre-flop doesn't seem absolutely standard to me...would we still raise over 1 limper if we had lower suited connectors? How about if we had something like QTo?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:30 AM

You guys need to learn to LAG it up like Strassa and other HS cash players. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2006, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys need to learn to LAG it up like Strassa and other HS cash players. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I like the LAG approach, just not on level 1 of a tournament when you are likely to get all sorts of loose action.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Why the funny bet sizes (588, 1144)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Partypoker slider = teh suck

Also, this hand is really standard. Most people probably wouldn't bet river, but why not? This is early...people will call down with ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. As we've said, the only hands we're worried about are AQ/KQ, and those are a very small part of a limp/callers range. I expect to see something like Q7s here often enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thr guy limp/called. Doesn't that look like a pp. Couldn't he have a set and be planning to check/raise the river?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:31 AM

I dont play alot of tournaments and generally suck at poker. Let's assume the following theoretical situation: MP1 never folds and never raises this river, he always calls you and exactly 50% of the time you have him beat and the other 50% of the time he has you beat. Would you prefer a check or a bet there? I assume in a situation like this if we were talking about an allin bet at the river, checking in tourneys would be superior. But since the bet is much smaller than allin, maybe this concept doesnt apply at all.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 AM

Preflop is not "standard"...nothing should be standard for good players, and I would play this way some % of the time, I would limp some % of the time, and fold some % of the time as well...so commenting on the preflop decision is useless, so long as there is a plan for the flop and turn etc,

Flop bet is almost mandatory unless he is going for a double reverse confusion whachamacallit thingy...but 95% of thetime the flop bet is mandatory.

Turn I MIGHT check behind and slow down and maybe call a river lead but again, betting the turn is certainly good also....now..........................

I have been struggling with the river value bet in nl tourneys of late, and this is a good example. I have really been checking behind on the river quite a bit of late, and for some reason it feels right most of the time, even if I think there is a good chance I have the best hand.

Comparing the check behind with the river bet basically comes down to:

1.Betting gains when you get called by a worse hand, or a better hand fold to you.
2.Checking gains when he calls with a hand that beats you, would have checkraised you with either a hand that had you beat or a worse hand which you would have folded to . Checking also has the small benefit of seeing his cards if that information is valuable to you.

I just seems to find that I am not getting ck called on the river by losers enough to make up for the times I am behind or the times I get check raised.

In this case I think it is very close, although, as some of mentioned, i am not entirely sure what he has that is calling....perhaps TT,JJ (and yes some people do in fact play those hands that way..i know i have level 1).

just as an aside..Will betting more blow off some better queens? Probably not.

sheets

p.s...nice run in main event jason congrats on doug meh smd hdgfjgafjs etc.

s
Old 08-13-2006, 12:43 PM

I'm thinking a typical opponent checkraises KQ on the flop here, rather than just check/call the whole way. I think we're ahead on the river here most of the time so let's bet it. I also really don't think there's any chance of the river c/r. While sheets says he's gotten checkraised a lot, I can't remember the last time anyone checkraised the river against me in a tourney.

I don't know if I like betting 1500 here, I'd probably bet more like 1000 just because then we are more likely to get a call from a worse hand. Meh, maybe it's the same thing.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:04 PM

I don't play on party enough apparently, because are people really calling down with 98 or A8 here? I mean sure some people are, but isn't that the rare donk not the standard donk?

maybe I'm wrong. the way I see it the only hands you beat are QT and TT/JJ which are MOSTLY raised. I expect to see KQ a lot here. that said, this is still probably an ok bet even if QT is the only worse queen, as I think AQ probably limps about as often as TT/JJ. So basically, with the small probabilities of him playing TT/JJ this way, of calling with an 8, and of playing AQ this way, the value bet on the end is probably pretty close to neutral EV.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Reminds of that hand from the anthology where you pushed the two pair and the guy called the river with TT. Personally, I think it is probably break even EV to make these river pushes. However, if your good with a big stack then maybe these pushes are more +EV for you than they are for me.