Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 02:41 AM

Default AK unimproved. Some hands. Please give opinions on my play

Having recently read this thread, my interest in this subject of how to play AK unimproved has been aroused. After all, the situation occurs so often.

I'd like to post a couple of remotely interesting AK UI hands that have occured during the last few days. I'm hoping people here can give me feedback on my play.

Here is the first hand:

5/10 Online. 10 Handed Texas Hold 'Em.

BB is 25/16/3. MP1 is 26/7/0.75.

Preflop: Hero is C/O with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
3 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, 2 folds, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. (3 players)
BB bets, MP1 calls, Hero raises, BB folds, MP1 calls.
Is this strictly 'unimproved'? I'm not so sure it is. It's a matter for poker semantics I suppose. But I have a strong draw here.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. (2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. (2 players)
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Here is the second hand:

5/10 Online. 9 Handed Texas Hold 'Em.

Preflop: Hero is Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls, 2 folds, C/O calls, Button/Hero raises, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, C/O calls.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. (5 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, C/O checks, Hero bets, SB calls, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, C/O calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. (3 players)
SB checks, C/O checks, Hero bets, SB calls, C/O folds.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

Any and all comments greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:59 AM

Default Re: AK unimproved. Some hands. Please give opinions on my play

I think both were played perfectly.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:43 AM

good for you for not getting passive in multi-way pots w/ AK. you have to do what you did in both hands to maximize your chances of winning the pots.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:49 AM

thats how i play them as well. but you arent really forced into difficult decisions in those hands, imo.

what if it is bet to you on the turn?
what if its check-raised on the turn?
what if you get raised on the turn?

its probably an easy call (or even raise, depending on opposition) in the first hand, but what about second?
Old 08-13-2006, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you arent really forced into difficult decisions in those hands, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right.

Next time I should post more challenging hands. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off in dealing with these easier situations.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:06 AM

i didnt mean to diss your post or anything, im really interested in the answers to my questions as those are the situations i feel rather uncomfortable in.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what if it is bet to you on the turn?
what if its check-raised on the turn?
what if you get raised on the turn?

its probably an easy call (or even raise, depending on opposition) in the first hand, but what about second?

[/ QUOTE ]

With regards to the second hand? Let's have a look.

Well, with this board, AK looks okay at the turn. It's a paired board, so there's less chance it hit my opponents. And I'm not even concerned much with the threat of 'reverse domination' - anyone with A5 or A2 would be counterfeited if an ace hits the river. However, when faced with that aggression, I don't see how I could call the turn. If behind, I'll usually have at most 6 outs. Also, reraising doesn't seem too attractive.

In my opinion, I think it's an easy fold. What do you think? How would you play it?
Old 08-13-2006, 06:34 AM

First hand seemed perfect to me. The second hand I'd played c/f flop. You can be behind already to a small pocket pair, if you make your top pair s.o. could make his flush, you could be (rarely) already drawing dead. Too many opponents, your holding too weak, give up.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:38 AM

Can someone explain why you wouldn't take the free card in hand #1?
Old 08-13-2006, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain why you wouldn't take the free card in hand #1?

[/ QUOTE ]

since MP1 is passive, it's tough to really say what's going on there. passive players do love to call w/ a large number of things, such as a weak draw, and you could easily be betting your AK high for value.

a big problem with checking the turn is playing the river. even passive players recognize that when the turn gets checked through, they should probably bet any river. since the pot is pretty big, and mp1 never took an aggressive action on previous streets, you should be calling the river bet w/ AK UI.

if you hit a flush on the river, two scenarios could happen that ends up costing you value. the first on eis that your opponent is a little scared, doesn't bet the river, and just check calls you. the second scenario is that your opponent bets the river, you raise, and he folds a small diamond or a pair w/ no diamond that he has been calling along with.

since you are probably going to be calling that river bet when you check it through, you may as well bet the turn and check behind when you miss. when you do hit, since your opponent has never put in an aggressive action, he can't stick you on a hand. maybe you had JJ w/o a diamond and was raising the flop in an attempt to squeeze out low diamond draws. b/c of this possibility, hands like two pair or a pair that later on made a smaller flush should be at least calling you. the best case scenario for you, of course, is the one in which you make your flush and get c/red. these situations can't play out if you didn't bet the turn.

hope this all makes sense, i'm on my way to bed.

edit: oh, also your opponent may have made a loose peel w/ some random unpaired high cards, straight draw, paired suited connector, or some combination of those hands that may give up on the turn. since the pot is biggish and you don't have a hand, you'd actually like it if villain just went away.