Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Allen Cunningham\'s FT Performance

[ QUOTE ]

He made a nice fold against KQd.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's another thread about this hand, so no reason to get into it here, but you've seriously got to be kidding. Sounds like the AC haters here are being seriously results oriented, without taking into account the ranges that he must have put his opponents on. For the record, I think he is the best player at that table, and it's not close.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:40 AM

Not only the best player at the table but in the top 10 players in the world PERIOD.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just getting into to NL, this ME FT was the first time I have watched an entire table play for 13 hours straight. I have to say I didn't really see anything that spectacular from AC in this time span. For all the talk from almost every guest pro in the booth about what a fantastic player he is, he seemed to fall into the same mode as the other "worse" players there by getting pushed around by Gold. I didn't really detect any techniques he used to adapt to the table dynamics.

Also, he seemd to get sucked into Gold's bantar the same as everyone else, although maybe he was trying to use it to his advantage more than the other players. But overall if I didn't know he was considered a great NL player, I would never have put him above Wasicka, Binger, etc as far as poker skill goes.

Did he have a bad FT, is 13 hours too short to judge, or is he overrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

overrated??

are you dismissing the 80 hours of play that resulted in BEING at the final table? it is nearly impossible to overrate cunninghams ME play.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:55 AM

This is such a retarded thread. Just because someone is a professional does not mean that he's some kind of god that can shoot lightning bolts out of his ass to miracle all the chips over to himself. He had only 2 big hands that we know of. The TT vs KdQd where he could not possibly call, and the TT where he busted. Despite having almost no good hands at showdown, he picked up more pots than anyone other than Gold.

He might have been 2nd or whatever in chips going into the FT but he did not have a very big percentage of the chips in play. If he had Gold's cards and Gold had his cards then it's extremely likely that the two would have played HU. Poker is a skill game, but Cunningham had a huge deficit to make up, and he just didn't have enough things going his way for it to happen.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had Gold's cards and Gold had his cards then it's extremely likely that the two would have played HU.

[/ QUOTE ]
This obv can't be said, for many reasons. The proper quote is if Cunningham had won his coinflip with Gold they would most likely end up hu.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:48 AM

Location: Grinding and chipping away at the miserable rocks in the murky underworld that is low-limit poker.

Maybe it was just the length of play or the constant pressure but watching live last 2 tables then into espn final table several players we looking like they were really falling apart after losing a large pot. While AC would hope to maintain a optimal strategy because he has more high-stakes experience and is less interested in moving up the pay ladder a little bit. But he looked rattled at times like we had not seen before, and perhaps in truth he was under MORE pressure than the "regular guys" because winning this event for him was much more valuable. If he had won, it would combine some of the most elite tourny and cash game result for the past few years with the biggest win ever. As media dollar boom, he would have become the far and away #1 hotshot for at least a couple years, and being directly related to a major site already he would have spurred a big windfall.
And they were playing so many days so [carebears] long. Ultimatly I think on the hole cards broadcast will show that he really caught some bad breaks. There wasn't really much of a fatal blow, but everthing was just lining up wrong for him. Although, once he realized his dwindling chances and impending doom he seemed to take it pretty hard. But who would like to have a bad few hours in that spot? We've seen several [carebears] [carebears] dudes just break out in tears for much less. So ya'll gotta feel bad for AC...he only won more than moneymaker, while it defied odds that a big name pro would make the final.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:57 AM

Are you kidding me, for awhile there according to Gordon, not Hellmuth, he was "running over the table." He was a total stand out.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He made a nice fold against KQd.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's another thread about this hand, so no reason to get into it here, but you've seriously got to be kidding. Sounds like the AC haters here are being seriously results oriented, without taking into account the ranges that he must have put his opponents on. For the record, I think he is the best player at that table, and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not kidding because I was responding to someone who was praising the A high call. There's results oriented for you. Also it should be clear to people by now that being the best at the table really doesn't mean as much as how lucky you get. There is this hype in the poker world that great players are somehow able to make things happen when all they are really able to do is maximize their edge and hope the cards are reasonable.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:26 PM

Most retarded thread ever.

Cunningham shouldve gone broke when he flopped trips against gold early on. His AQ lost to A10. His 22 lost to A6. His JQ lost to AQ (bad call obviously). He really had no cards, and finally he loses a coinflip to Gold to bust him. It doesnt matter how well you play, if your cards dont hold up, you can't win a hold'em tournament. I really don't know what you guys expected out of him, but if persay he had many more winning hands, then he would be declared the greatest poker player of all time. Think about that.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:27 PM

Let me point out I was not being results-oriented when I made this thread becasue I never once cited any results. I didn't say anything about chip counts or "he should have at least finished 2nd" - or anything about hand results. Those are metrics where sample size comes in to play.

I was talking high level about his general play and tactics in general - whether they worked or not is irrelevant. BAsically a read on a player. You should have a read on a guy if you played with him for 10 hours right? And if the guy is one the elite players in the game, there should be some indications of that. Maybe there were - the trip 9s hand might be a good example of not going bust by AC.

Anyway, this thread was blown out of proportion some - mainly just an observation about a player's image over 10 hours of play.