Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 04:13 AM

Default 99 50+5 ft

24 players left in the ft 50+5 (18 get paid) blinds are 200/400 and 25a. The villan in this hand is a chip leader (23000or so) who has been calling a lot and getting lucky in some places. I have 13500

I pick up 99 in the co and make it 1200, the villan calls in the sb.(pot is 3100ish) The flop is 7d6d4h and he checks and i bet 2000 and he calls. The turn black K (764) and he leads for 3200, which i call. The river is a brick (2) and he goes all in, i pussy out and fold.

I am new to tournaments, but i think i either got to call the river or fold the turn.

yes?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:28 AM

Default Re: 99 50+5 ft

i'd shove the flop with 9's here. lucky to get one with all unders to start with, amazing if theyre all under at the end.
and an overcard is probably your worst enemy on a bb call.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:40 AM

I dunno i'd probably shove the flop, its alot 12000ish into a 3K pot but unless he's only some random junk that ran smack into the flop we're way ahead and I'd want to get my chips in while we're in that condition. As played I think you've ethier got to fold to the K bet on the turn or bring out your balls and shove over the top and hope he's bluffing or holding something like A7, just calling doesn't tell you a single thing and with only 2 outs the river isn't likely to be improving your hand and your going to be facing another bet alot of the time, I dunno though that's just me and i'm a low limit bastard.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:05 PM

Shoving the flop is pretty ridiculous. Why not just turn your cards over? Crappy spot, but I probably play it the same w/o some serious reads.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:08 PM

i'd at least think about shoving turn, is the guy stupid enough to c/c with missed overs? he might have had the flush draw with the Kd, but this is a line a good player will use to take away the pot when a scare card comes. see HoH2's first chapter & the section "betting when the scare card comes" or something like that.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:21 PM

late in a tourny i dont consider 99 a strong hand until we're down to the final 3. its a mid pair, and is only strong on the flop of all unders. let your opponent be the one making the mistake by calling to a draw, not you calling with an overcard on the deck.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
late in a tourny i dont consider 99 a strong hand until we're down to the final 3. its a mid pair, and is only strong on the flop of all unders. let your opponent be the one making the mistake by calling to a draw, not you calling with an overcard on the deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think shoving 12300 into a 3100 chip pot is the best play?

I'd seriously think about shoving the turn or calling the river. A good % of the time AK or KQ would probably value bet that river for like 3k. His c/c lead is a pretty strong line...idk I'd probably push the turn and see a set or something.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:45 PM

This is bad advice and frankly weak-tight poker. The way to make and beat a final table is to take control and exploit other players with this mindset who are afraid to play poker and just shove their chips in when they have big hands. In this situation from the CO 99 is close to the top of my range, which makes me want to shove the turn.

OP, it sucks but I probably play it the same, but I think that's a leak. However, most players will check the river with as much as a weak king (K8? You said he was loose) after the little turn bet. It might be a leak to call turn and fold river but in my experience I usually make it to showdown cheap.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:10 PM

I am still not happy with this hand. The villan in this hand was not really a 'strong' player but i think that if i call that turn, that i have to call when a brick hits the river. If this was someone who was a strong player it would be easier to call a push on the end because that bet seems like a bluff bet but with this guy i just was not sure.

I dont know about the turn push. Betting like 12k in 3k pot is a big overbet and the only way i am getting called is if i am losing.

The fold worked out kind of ok, i finished 5th for $630 and the hand i busted i got it all in with jjvsa9 vs chip leader in the biggest pot of the tourney to that pt. and had i won i would have been the chip leader.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that if i call that turn, that i have to call when a brick hits the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? There's a lot of things villian could do on the river besides pushing ai.