Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Greatest Television Character OAT

Dylan from 90210 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Johhny Fever WKRP
Hawkeye Mash
Kramer Seinfeld
Old 08-12-2006, 04:07 AM

Festus Haggen (Ken Curtis, former Big Band Singer with Tommy Dorsey) on Gunsmoke. You gotta be pretty old to remember this guy.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:09 AM

Well, it's gonna be hard to figure this one out. It matters by what criteria? This is like arguing who's the best player in the NBA. The most skilled and clutch is possibly Kobe Bryant. The most skilled who also makes others around him much better and wins a lot of games may be Dwyane Wade.

So, here goes. If the criteria is complexity, then Tony Soprano is up there. However, I would say that Nate on Six Feet Under is just as complex, conflicted, developed, and well acted. Tony is, however, much more fun to watch b/c of what he does. As my friend says, we all wish we were him. Screwing many hot chicks while having an interesting family, being rich, not letting anyone get away with anything, and then tantrumming whenever the hell you felt like it. Who wouldn't want that? And he's never gone to jail since we've watched him. Lucky guy. Even the bad [censored] that happens to him makes his life a rush.

Now, I'm going to base the best character of all time on a different criteria. Which character would the world be much worse off w/ if we didn't have him/her. With no hesitation will I say that it's Homer Simpson. We all know that starting season 4 or so and the rest of the way through, he's been the heart and soul and the belly of laughter on the funniest show of all time.

If animated characters count, then it's undoubtedly him. I'll say though, there should be a separate section for characters on cable tv shows, b/c they're allowed to be more adult and complex by law. And it's not fair w/ animated characters b/c physically and on the show, they don't age. Homer's been on the air 17+ years and hasn't aged a day. Know what I mean.

Also, laughter really makes the world a better place than giving people a criminal w/ a dope life they can live through. I mean, I think it's valuable and will not make most people do worse things than they would already. In fact, I love the show, own the first two seasons on dvd, and haven't missed an episode, but I mean that Homer has actually, w/o a doubt, heavily made the world a better place.

And that's why Homer J. has my vote for best character of all time.

peace
Old 08-12-2006, 06:17 AM

Alex Keaton kicked ass.

I love the Frank Pembleton love, though.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:19 AM

maverick had the art of the con down to a science, and all the people he knew who were were in on it were totally believable.

richard boone in hgwt was this gruff guy who seemed to have no rules, but he had his own code of ethics that was totally clear to him. I always loved the technology that seemed to contradict the old west in the suave san fransico portions of the show.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-14-2006, 05:49 PM

Drama: Peter Falk's Columbo. Columbo represents everyman, with the ill-fitting rumpled clothes and the dog that wouldn't do what he wanted. He always took on a suspect who was rich or powerful. He did this with humility and his brand of charm. Steven Hill's Adam Schiff, the D.A. in Law and Order is second. He stole every scene he was in despite getting less then five minutes screentime cumulatively every show.

Comedy: Homer, for the reasons already outlined. Once the show made a switch from homer being this mean father who strangled Bart constantly to this dreamy character that he is now the show really took off in my estimation. Archie Bunker is a close second.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:34 AM

Old 08-16-2006, 06:17 PM

Boy, you can really tell that OOT is a young man's crowd from these responses. Not a criticism, just an observation.

I think the best character on TV today is House, M.D.

I think the best character of all time has to be Archie Bunker, even though he wasn't my favorite.

Two other great characters no one has mentioned: Sam Malone and Diane Chambers from Cheers.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boy, you can really tell that OOT is a young man's crowd from these responses. Not a criticism, just an observation.

I think the best character on TV today is House, M.D.

I think the best character of all time has to be Archie Bunker, even though he wasn't my favorite.

Two other great characters no one has mentioned: Sam Malone and Diane Chambers from Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only seen one episode of House but I really liked it. I think Archie B is a great choice for all the reasons listed, but that show was before my time.

Cheers is my favorite sitcom of all time, and I wanted to include Sam if only for that reason, but decided not to. Cheers wasn't really about one character like some shows are, and Sam really wasn't that big a deal, either to the show or as a character in general. He did have a cool backstory and his relationship with Diane did drive the show during it's best years, but IMO that show was really more about the whole cast than just one guy.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only seen one episode of House but I really liked it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Season One is out on DVD; I highly recommend it. Hugh Laurie is an exceptional actor and although the show is a bit formulaic, it works because of Laurie's prodigious acting chops and the fascinating character he has created.