Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 07:47 PM

Default Best books on Stud and Stud Hilo.

Hi, I know the rules of the game, and know how to play, but I would say im below to avg and not in the class of a Good or Profitable Stud Player..... What books should I get before I start developing bad habits and that can lead me in the right direction? thanks so much. Would like insight from those who have read em and profit themselves if possible. I aint gonna take advice to lose weight from a Fat Guy most of the time, hhehe. Thanks very much!!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Best books on Stud and Stud Hilo.

As a starting point I think Reese's section is SS1 is great for Stud High. I play $20-$40, first at Foxwoods and more recently at the Commerce. I am consistently a large winner playing fairly ABC tag style. I do, however, lack creativity which is something I will work on.

In several months, I am moving to Ohio, where I will either kill myself or actually start playing online more. Hope I can adjust.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 PM

Do you want a step-by-step manual, that gives you rules to follow, or do you want to understand the game conceptually, and be able to make your own decisions based on that understanding? I'm not sure whats best for the former, but SS1 is certainly a great start for the latter.

Or, read my book, its one sentence long: [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] "Play tighter on 3rd than you think is reasonable, play 4th-7th more aggressive than you think is reasonable". Toss in the SS1 concepts, and you'll be hard pressed to not win at low stakes.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:28 AM

Seven Card Stud for Advanced Players
High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players
Theory of Poker
Old 08-12-2006, 11:57 AM

i think a little bit of book study is good for fundamentals wise, but then its time to learn hand reading skills and to be a poker pimp, in order to do that you gotta go and lose lots and learn and soak up every detail like the rest of us did.