Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Best Books on HiLo?

Hi, I know the rules of the game, and know how to play, but I would say im below to avg and not in the class of a Good or Profitable Omaha Player..... What books should I get before I start developing bad habits and that can lead me in the right direction? thanks so much. Would like insight from those who have read em and profit themselves if possible. I aint gonna take advice to lose weight from a Fat Guy most of the time, hhehe. Thanks very much!!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Best Books on HiLo?

good question. I'm also interested in this as I'm almost entirely self-taught at this game, whereas I've read a ton of hold em and tournament books.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 PM

Ray Zee's book on High Low, Steve Badger's website playwinningpoker.com, TJ Cloutier's Championship Omaha (good for tournaments, TJ is mainly a tourney guy), the Omaha 8 section in Super System 2 is very good. I wouldn't recommend getting involved with Cappelletti, at least until you are already a strong winning player, or you may have bouts of fancy play syndrome.

Don
Old 08-11-2006, 11:37 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

www.o8poker.com is a great start. winning Omaha 8 poker by tenner & krieger
Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 PM

I'm reading through that site right now....looks jam packed with info. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ray Zee's book on High Low, Steve Badger's website playwinningpoker.com, TJ Cloutier's Championship Omaha (good for tournaments, TJ is mainly a tourney guy), the Omaha 8 section in Super System 2 is very good. I wouldn't recommend getting involved with Cappelletti, at least until you are already a strong winning player, or you may have bouts of fancy play syndrome.

Don

[/ QUOTE ]I have the original Supersystem. Does that also have a good PLO/8 section? I would look myself but I'm on vacation right now and its at home.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:55 PM

No, the original Super System does not address Omaha at all. I don't believe the new one addresses PLO8 either, unless it is in the Pot Limit Omaha section. There doesn't seem to be much written about PLO8 that I know of.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:01 AM

there are no books on plo8.

zee mentions it (he brings up interesting points for LO8), but basically says that plo8 is basically an exercise in pushing chips around waiting for big-hand-versus-big-hand scenarios. clearly that's not the case.

fwiw, i think plo8 didn't really exist when he wrote the book (1992). the online explosion really helped out this game, and i think that the tight players of days old would pretty much get run over in a game of good online plo8 players.

the beauty of this game is that there is basically no good info out there on it. furthermore, the people who have really figured it out really aren't talking -- it's --------EV.