Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Scott Fischman’s ONLINE ACE is CRAP

[ QUOTE ]
Hi grazza:

[ QUOTE ]
"...Scotty opened with a $4,400 raise. It seemed just as clear when I looked down at Ah Jh, that I would push all-in. Except I didn't. The inner voice told me to wait for a better spot. I listened. I folded. The big blind pushed all-in and Scotty called. At first, it seemed as if the voice had led me astray. Scotty turned over AT - a hand I had beat - and the big blind was making a move with K9....Scotty caught a T on the flop. A jack never came....You may be thinking that the voice gave me bad advice...but my sub-conscious must have latched on to some other factors."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is unbelievable. Just to be fair to Fischman, are you sure that this is exactly what it says?

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

long story short, learn to read the deck well. comes with much practice.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow.
Thank you, i was gonna buy that book...

Is there something remotely worth reading in there?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. It sucks. OP is spot on with his assessment. Waste of cash and time.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 PM

I've played this push/fold method over the course of 750 S&G's and my ROI is at 32.7%.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:07 AM

Given these reviews, I would have passed on "Online Ace," had it not been on the way in the post. (I was not thrilled to find it was published by ESPN, either.)

Having read it, in less than an hour, I believe it is well designed, well organized and well written (with the exception of oddly inappropriate anecdotes) as a lightweight, introductory primer for beginners. It has a breezy, quirky, insider tone that will appeal to its target audience.

It is certainly not a "guide for mastering internet poker," is of questionable value as a $19.95 curiosity, and will make no impact whatsoever.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:17 PM

why couldnt you guys have made this post BEFORE i bought this book. I picked it up at the same time I bought HOH3 and NLHETP, both great books as we all know and expected. I havent even finished OA, too busy reading and rereading my 2p2 library.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:04 PM

I wonder what is more EV knowing your opponents hand preflop, or knowing what cards are coming.

Is there any discussion of this valuable topic in the book?
Old 08-18-2006, 04:42 PM

The latest issue of Cardplayer (not available online yet) actually gives this book a good review.

Think it has anything to do with Scott having a column on their website?

Naaaa... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2006, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi grazza:

[ QUOTE ]
"...Scotty opened with a $4,400 raise. It seemed just as clear when I looked down at Ah Jh, that I would push all-in. Except I didn't. The inner voice told me to wait for a better spot. I listened. I folded. The big blind pushed all-in and Scotty called. At first, it seemed as if the voice had led me astray. Scotty turned over AT - a hand I had beat - and the big blind was making a move with K9....Scotty caught a T on the flop. A jack never came....You may be thinking that the voice gave me bad advice...but my sub-conscious must have latched on to some other factors."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is unbelievable. Just to be fair to Fischman, are you sure that this is exactly what it says?

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, its in "The Best Hand I Ever Played"
Old 08-19-2006, 11:17 AM

It's unbelievable the amount of junk that gets published. I know it's slightly off-topic but I picked up a poker magazine (WPT or cardplayer can't remember) at my local cardroom yesterday and i could not believe the amount of awful strategy advice I was reading in there. I was seriously in awe. One article was focusing on "how to beat donkeys and fish"; it went on to say that there are 2 types of bad players. Fish who are bad and lose and donkeys who are bad but lucky and will suck out on you. It concluded that you should seek fish and avoid donkeys like the plague. WTF??? I mean seriously, where do they find their writers??
Old 08-19-2006, 02:16 PM

Thanks it was on my wish list. I'll X it off.