Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 05:54 AM

Default Very basic line check, TT in EP with 20bbs way before bubble.

300 people low limit (25ish no rebuys) MTT, half the field remains and 36 up pay.

Blinds 40/80, about to be 50/100 and you get TT 2nd in with 2,000 chips left, average is 3k. The remaining players are loose bad with mediumish stacks.

Just checking, standard line here is to open for about pot and fire at unders flop and sometimes get a feeling and take a stab at overcard flops vs. a single caller?

EDIT: How would 99, 88, and 77 play here, in comparison to TT?

I hate 20bb NL and thoroughly suck at it, thanks guys.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Very basic line check, TT in EP with 20bbs way before bubble.

This situation, of course, depends on a number of factors. In a vacuum, yes I'd say raise it standard preflop. However, what happens after that differs greatly based on how many people call this bet, what stacks they have, what position they have, and how they've been playing. Then there's the consideration of what to do if someone raises.

Again, without further information, if you get one caller and he has position, I'd lead any flop that doesn't contain two overcards. With more callers than that, I'd probably still bet any flop that didn't hold an Ace or King, but otherwise check with the intention to fold to the first bet.

As for the other pairs, you're on a steadily declining slope from 2nd position. Sometimes I'd raise with these, especially if the table is tight. Other times, I might limp with the intention of calling a standard raise (as long as the opposing stack had enough in it to pay off a set).

--TFGoose
Old 08-11-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Very basic line check, TT in EP with 20bbs way before bubble.

I also have no clue how to play 77 - JJ in EP with 20BB. I normally just raise 3 BB and play pretty weakly on most flops.

One thing I have been toying with is limp re-raising with 99-JJ at an active table with these stack sizes, in hopes that someone will make a "punish the limpers" raise, but have yet to find a spot to try this out.