Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Default Re: The Jump from Vegetarian to Vegan

Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 AM

environmental vegetarianism

cliff notes: livestock and related industries at current sizes are not environmentally sustainable. vegetarian/vegan/freegan diets are.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 AM

I'm a vegetarian because I don't want to get a heart attack when I'm older.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even normal milk is crap, but American milk is actual poison.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how I survived drinking all that poison when I was a kid?

[/ QUOTE ]

You did indeed survive, and are probably obese with a far higher probability of developing cancer. RBGH far increases the amount of IGF-1, the strongest hormone known to man, that is ingested in milk. IGF-1 is a growth factor, it helps many entities within a human grow, it is most effective on cancerous tumors. That's right, it helps cancer to grow. I'm no scientist, but this and alot more scary [censored] is cleverly concealed in the book "Milk: The Deadly Poison".

I hope you guys at least make an effort to glance at some evidence, it will help you in the long run to not drink potentially toxic substances.

Cam

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on. You do know that IGF-1 does more than cancer, don't you? And some of those other things are good things.

Also, evidence in the last few years suggest that it's the high nutritive value of milk that increases the IGF-1.

Oh no! Good nutrition! POISON!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Talking about the difference between meat-eater, vegetarian, and vegan levels of circulating IGF. From "The Associations of Diet with Serum Insulin-like Growth Factor I and Its Main Binding Proteins in 292 Women Meat-Eaters, Vegetarians, and Vegans" in Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention.

"Intake of protein rich in essential amino acids was positively associated with serum IGF-I (Pearson partial correlation coefficient; r = 0.27; P < 0.0001) and explained most of the differences in IGF-I concentration between the diet groups."
Old 08-11-2006, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but us rich westerners who can afford to have a diet that doesn't make any animals suffer should attempt to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, most of us don't care one way or another but holier than thou attitudes like this simply piss everyone off.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a vegetarian because I don't want to get a heart attack when I'm older.

[/ QUOTE ]You're not worried that somebody will serve you a steak at your 50th birthday party, and you'll say "Oh my God! This is SO good! I think tha... ack! ack!"?
-Sam
Old 08-11-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but us rich westerners who can afford to have a diet that doesn't make any animals suffer should attempt to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, most of us don't care one way or another but holier than thou attitudes like this simply piss everyone off.

[/ QUOTE ]

clark-

as I said, I love meat. I'm just kind of playing devils advocate here. if we have the ability and means to not cause suffering to other beings who can feel it maybe we should.

most don't care if a cow or chicken is in pain, which is fine. I wish people would just admit it though, rather than using specious arguments like "I climbed my way to the top of the food chain". just say "I don give a [censored] if that chicken suffered for a year so I can have my general tso's" and most arguments about meat vs. veggie will cease. any other reason a meat eater gives is just presenting a reaon for a veggie to argue against.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We currently don't have the technology to grow all our food and sustain 6.5 billion human lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I am a hearty meat eater, but the above is just ABSURD to use in an argument against veganism.

There is like a 10 fold loss of energy as you move up trophic levels.

Ie. for every 1000 calories of meat you eat, it cost 10,000 calories to feed that animal.

There is absolutely no way 6.5 billion people in the world could eat a normal north american diet. Probably not even 2 billion.

Sustaining large populations is an arugment FOR veganism.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:20 PM

well if nothing else this thread has proven that non meat eaters are smarter in general than flesh eaters.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Um...look up how chickens who make eggs are treated or cows who produce milk are treated. Oftentimes getting used for that kind of stuff is far worse than just getting slaughtered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even read what you write?

Worse than slaughtered? Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow dude.