Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Re: $22: Bubble AQs hand w/flush draw

OK, so how about this question then:

What adjustments would you make on the bubble?

What hands would you play differently here compared to the situation if the short stack was already eliminated and we were already in the money?

If A3o and QTo aren't marginal enough to fold (or limp with), then what about 72o? Would that still be a push (assuming that the tight player is still in the BB here)? Or would you not make any adjustments for the bubble unless you were on a bigger stack (say 15-20xbb or more), where you might be averse to getting involved in a pot with another big stack?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, I'm not so sure I'd fold 66 to an allin here. I've only got about an 8xBB stack, so I'm under a lot of pressure to get some chips soon,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to be a better player then fold it. I would never knowing put myself in a race on the bubble. Nothing or 20% just isn't worth a coin flip. Pushing is one thing calling a push is quite different.

Think Fold Equity! It's your friend.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:15 AM

Good point, Pudge. I probably am underestimating my "suckout equity", especially given that a lot of situations involve two live cards vs two live cards, so I've got a 30-40% chance even when I'm the dog.

But I still want to understand what adjustments should be made for the bubble (if any). See my post below...
Old 08-11-2006, 09:20 AM

What are your Preflop options:
1.call
2.weirdo ~2.5x bb raise
3.standard SB raise 3-5xBB
4.push
Option 1: You reasoning seems to be to play concervative in order to cash. So why didn't you just call? If he raises preflop fold. If he checks preflop then bets the flop fold. Those two courses of action seem to best fall in line with you reasoning.
Option 2: The line you took. Are you hoping he calls or folds? If you knew what he had before the flop would that change your answer?
Option 3: Standard preflop raise. The andvantages of this raise involes you moving in after "scary" flops. If the flop came KJ3 rainbow would he have called your push?
Option 4: Push. You have an M around 7 so you are a little desperate. You are only a serious dog to 4 hands AA,KK,QQ,AK. This option puts the most pressure on your opponent and gives him an opportunity to make a mistake.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your Preflop options:
1.call
2.standard~2.5x bb raise
3. Uneccesarily big raise 3-5 bb's
4.push

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 08-11-2006, 09:25 AM

In SB v BB confrontations if your making it 2.5xbb then your spewing money.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say the chip loser (the UTG player) had only a 1.5xBB stack. Would that change things, or are we still playing to win rather than to cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it would change the push, since you have the villian covered, in fact I might push ATC in this situation as it is so unlikely the BB will call.

The idea is to take advanage of the bubble, people play tigher because they want to get into the money. Pushing is +EV as usually opponents hand ranges are fairly tight for calling a push and the blinds are worth picking up.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In SB v BB confrontations if your making it 2.5xbb then your spewing money.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this spot if you raise any more than 500 you are committed to shove any flop. 2.5bb -3bb is my standard raise in L3+ it makes pots slightly more managable, and lets you get away for cheap.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say the chip loser (the UTG player) had only a 1.5xBB stack. Would that change things, or are we still playing to win rather than to cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it would change the push, since you have the villian covered, in fact I might push ATC in this situation as it is so unlikely the BB will call.

The idea is to take advanage of the bubble, people play tigher because they want to get into the money. Pushing is +EV as usually opponents hand ranges are fairly tight for calling a push and the blinds are worth picking up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing any two is a good play if villian knows what he is doing which he probably isn't.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 AM

Option 1: I made the small steal raise because I knew there was a good chance I could pick up the blinds with very little risk, since the BB was playing very tight on a short stack. If I just limp, then he gets to see the flop for free, and might hit.

Option 2: I'm hoping he folds, although if he calls I know I can still win by either hitting the flop and showing down the best hand or by bluffing him out on the flop since he's so tight. If I knew preflop that he had 66, then I'd probably want him to call, since I could win by hitting the flop or by bluffing when an overcard flopped, and he's a big dog to hit the flop.

Options 3 & 4: I see the point of both of these plays, and #4 (allin) is my usual play when I'm down to about a 10xBB stack, as I am here. But again, the question nobody seems willing to address:

What adjustments do you make due to the bubble?????

If you don't change the way you play AQs in this spot, then what hands would you play differently here, compared to how you would play them when you're already in the money? If A3o is the same, then what about 72o? Push with the 72o if already in the money, but maybe not if you're on the bubble? What about if you're on a bigger stack? Would you play the AQs any differently on a 20xbb stack when you're in the money vs. on the bubble?