Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 02:29 AM

Default 3/6 Kill Question, Value Betting the flopped straight

Last time I posted here I was very pleased with my results and how my play improved, at least with my abillity to think situations through before they happen.

Here is the hand:
Structure, 9-handed with a single big blind posted to the left of the button (no small blind) and this hand is a kill with the hero having the kill blind of $6 on the button.

Reads: BB, MP are both very loose players, who are rather passive, if they bet it is not overly interesting however when they raise run, and run quickly.

I have won the last 3 hands, winning the last one with a raise from the kill and a continuation bet on the flop.

Hero has 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the BTN.
3 folds, MP calls, 3 folds, BB calls (action skips hero because of the kill), Hero checks.

Pot 3 SB, 3 Players

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, MP checks, Hero Bets, Both call

Pot 3 BB, 3 Players

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, MP checks, Hero Bets, BB calls, MP folds

Pot 5 BB, Heads up

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB Bets, Hero...

I'm not sure what to do here, this is the kind of loose player the can play any 2 sooted cards, so the diamonds are a possibillity however he has been known to make foolish plays (see: Playing like a fish Vol. 1, Author Big Blind)
I wan't to raise but my feeling is the pot is too small to do anything but call. Plus if unless he made 2 pair (speciffically Kings up) on the river the only other hands I think he calls (or reraises) with have me beat with J9 for the total slowplay of the flopped nut straight or he caught running diamonds and would reraise and I have to pay him off.

Result:
<font color="white"> Hero Calls
BB Shows K5o for top pair, Hero wins 7 BB pot thinking it should have been 9 BB in there </font>

Thanks in advance,
Jasper_C

PS This hand was played just before the last one I posted and the BTN from that game (BB in this hand) and EP player are the same guys. After the hand EP from this hand said he hand the Ace of spaces with a suited side card that didn't pair. I love the flop call there looking for running spades. (See there are some fish that miss their 23 to 1 shots sometimes.)
Old 08-11-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Re: 3/6 Kill Question, Value Betting the flopped straight

Just take it to the second level for a brief instant: no one suspects that you have the straight. It is unlikely enough as is, you're on the button (perfect position to try and steal the pot) and this is a "crazy kill pot" in which people are known to take desperate actions. I would raise and call a 3-bet. because fish wait around for overcards and if I had to guess, he just made two pair. I'd value raise a set here also, fwiw.

It's heads up and you don't have that "going for overcalls" consideration either.