Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Would HU\'s expeience help my full ring limit game?

And if so, what aspects will it help to improve?

Many thanks,
Ian
Old 08-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Would HU\'s expeience help my full ring limit game?

I think it helps you understand blind stealing from both sides, which is probably the most profitable thing to wrap your head around, so yeah, it'll help a lot.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it helps you understand blind stealing from both sides, which is probably the most profitable thing to wrap your head around, so yeah, it'll help a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

And restealing too I guess.

I'm also finding it helps you learn to get a read on another player pretty fast. When it's just you and another, you get to start reading them pretty quickly. I'm sure this helps in ring games, especially when you focus on say the guys two to your left, and two to your right (and the mechanics of stealing/restealing wrt them).
Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 PM

Yes.

It makes you learn that the value of a hand is not intrinsic, and to use all the information available to determine if your hand is good.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:20 PM

I think it helps a lot against blind steals and blind wars but it can be detrimental in non-steal situations if your hand valuation is skewed toward HU play and you become overaggressive trying to win pots that you just can't win.

So IMO you have to be able to recognize situations and play accordingly, which sounds simple enough but easier said than done for a lot of people that play a lot of HU. It's very easy to be too aggressive and spewy coming into FR from HU. It can be difficult to regain the patience to throw away hands repeatedly in FR that you would play if you were short ... a lot of people that play a lot of SH (like me) despise FR.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:31 PM

Many thanks for all the input guys.

Ian
Old 08-10-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it helps a lot against blind steals and blind wars but it can be detrimental in non-steal situations if your hand valuation is skewed toward HU play and you become overaggressive trying to win pots that you just can't win.

So IMO you have to be able to recognize situations and play accordingly, which sounds simple enough but easier said than done for a lot of people that play a lot of HU. It's very easy to be too aggressive and spewy coming into FR from HU. It can be difficult to regain the patience to throw away hands repeatedly in FR that you would play if you were short ... a lot of people that play a lot of SH (like me) despise FR.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an awesome good post. I find myself frequently playing anything from 2-10 players at random and when I do I could have 2 full tables, 1 short handed, and one heads up. It's very easy IMO to start developing habits that are good in one scenario but very -EV in another form, such as the fact that 2nd pair is very good playing HU but can easily be garbage when it's 4 to the flop in a raised pot.