Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Review of Ace on the River

This is by far the best book out on markets. 10/10, I understand those who don't find this book helpfull, but truth is the basic play is pretty easy learn. This is really for improving the decent players winrate who are yet not world class players.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:27 PM

I just finshed reading Ace on the River and I found the book to be above average. I can understand why so many people might be unsatisfy with the book. This is because they thought this book will be a instructional book on what hands to plays and how to play them. But the people who think this book is poor is failing to realize that knowing how to play poker alone is not enough to max your profit. Greenstein's book also teach players how to pick the right game, to check your ego, pick the right opponents, be mentally sharp when playing, staying off tilt. I believe knowing how to play perfect poker is only 50% to winning money. The other 50% comes from topics which Barry discuss in his book. In addition, there are about 80 pages of hand analysis in the book which is quite useful. Though Barry's book might not be what readers envision it to be nevertheless the topics that are focused in the book will prove to be useful to any poker players looking to become a better one.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hardly know Greenstein and have only talked to him briefly a couple of times. I'm curious as to what he gave me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever elbow him when you got up from the table?

Vince
Old 10-08-2005, 07:26 PM

David,

Do you and Barry think the book might help Daniel N. improve his game?

Vince
Old 10-08-2005, 07:30 PM

Hey Barry write another one!

P.S. You get my vote as the number one Tournament player to model ones self after. Not because of your record or your playing style. No, you get my vote because you have style! Me and the kids you help out think you are great!

Vince
Old 10-08-2005, 10:23 PM

Bought it today. I'm not a high stakes player by any means although I'd like to move up eventually. I thought there were some useful concepts in there.

I also will admit that presentation did have an impact. Simply put, this book is extremely slick looking. It's a far cry from the usual presentation. In fact, that's my only criticism of the 2+2 library.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:34 PM

I am not ordering this. I am waiting to bust Barry out of a tournament so that I can get one for free.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone wrote a book 20 years ago about how to be a successful president and included chapters about, "Don't get blow-jobs from interens" and, "If a hurricane wipes out a city try to do something quickly", I bet everyone would have remarked on how obvious this advice was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like reading these boards not just for the poker content but there's always something unexpected that gives me a good chuckle.

From what I'm hearing about Barry's book, it reminds me of a book I bought years ago about race driving. It was "The Art of High Performance Driving" by Jackie Stewart. Stewart was one of my racing heroes even though he retired before I was old enough to see him race. I bought the book with great optimism towards all the great insights I would learn about car control and racecraft. It too was a pretty coffee table book.

I was initially very disappointed. The main thrust of the book was about his life, and the rest was about how to take a responsible approach to life. There was only one chapter fully about how to drive a car fast. His point was that a race driver needed to be responsible in life in order to be most successful as a race driver since the stakes toward your own and others health was so great.

Over a few years the book became one that I read over and over and became very prized to me as I realized how valuable the content truly was. I went to a race driving school and it was raining hard on the first day on the track. I remembered Stewart's advice on being aware enough to wear rubbers over my driving shoes. He pointed out that something so simple could prevent oil on the bottom of your shoes from causing your foot to slip off the pedals. He had said that he had seen that happen with poor consequences. One of the instructers saw me taking them off as I stepped into the car and was very impressed. A few others heard the exchange and I noticed many other students wearing them around the pits the next three days of the class.

That was something "obvious" about being meticulous in your craft that the instructers hadn't even mentioned. Yet it's obvious and useful to experienced race drivers.

I think Stewart's book is a true gem to young race drivers who are already quite good at car control but can be helped by an overall perspective. I suspect Barry's book is in a similar vein for poker players. I haven't bought it but this thread has lead me to put it on my 'must buy' list.

And, yes, there was valuable race driving information in Stewart's book too. Yet initially I had been upset that it wasn't only, or even mainly, about that aspect. I learned differently as I gained experience.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:48 PM

OK...I'll chime in.

1)There are many people complaining of the lack of "content" in the book. This is probably just because they were expecting a different type of content when they ordered it. Do not buy a book on baking and be surprised that they dont tell you how to make Peking Duck.
...There is plenty of very good content in the book, perhaps though it wasnt what you expected.

2)It seems many people like more of a textbook approach when they read poker books....well then read it like a textbook! Some of the information is so simple and consice that you breeze right buy it, analyze things and you will certainly get your money's worth.

3)From what I see when I play live, and to a smaller extent online.... I am very good at not tilting, much more so than my opponents. If you can learn how to not tilt, or tilt less this book will pay for itself 100 fold if not more over the next year alone.
The "butterfly effect" must seem to some that it has no place in a poker book, but it has everything to do with advanced poker..... DON'T fret the small things you cant control...(ie. bad beats)

4)As I've said before, ANY book that gives you even one good idea is easily worth $20-$30. This book offers many great thoughts that will help a good player a lot.

.....When you read the book keep an open mind, look at the big picture, not how you are going to grind out the next session..... dont read it too fast, see what deeper concepts are presented albeit in a clear and concise format. If you think the book is a waste, stick it on a shelf and read it again in a year or two assuming you are still playing
Old 12-07-2005, 01:57 PM

I couldn't agree more.