Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Re: How\'s my flop play?

This is a situation where I've been spewing chips lately. When its HU on the flop and I have a hand like 88 with this board. I've been c-c to the river, losing an other 2-3 bets with a second best hand. So, in this instance, with a passive read on the the villain and he's 3betting, I'll see the turn and fold UI. (kind of cringing because I'm thinking he has overcards)
Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop raise seemed like a great place to protect my hand in this burgeoning pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying the raise is bad, because it seems to be the best way to protect your hand psychologically. Facing two cold from the get-go on the flop has to be worrisome to the opther opponents. However, on a pot odds basis there is no straight draw and the flush draw can't be protected against from a drawing odds standpoint. Then again, perhaps I'm just arguing the semantics of what comprises a raise for protection.

I think you can safely fold to the 3-bet with no consequences to your metagame implications.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:22 PM

*grunch*

Looks good.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The flop raise seemed like a great place to protect my hand in this burgeoning pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying the raise is bad, because it seems to be the best way to protect your hand psychologically. Facing two cold from the get-go on the flop has to be worrisome to the opther opponents. However, on a pot odds basis there is no straight draw and the flush draw can't be protected against from a drawing odds standpoint. Then again, perhaps I'm just arguing the semantics of what comprises a raise for protection.

I think you can safely fold to the 3-bet with no consequences to your metagame implications.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I made this "raise for protection" I was primarily trying to fold out overcards to my 88, especially those higher than a J, and made pairs lower than my 88. Many players wouldn't even think twice before calling a single bet if they held even just an A much less A with a low pair, hoping to make aces up.

In general, this is mostly what I think of when I make a "raise for protection" and this is my understanding of what Ed Miller is talking about in SSHE. The case just becomes stronger when you have the opportunity to fold out (or face with an incorrect call) gutshot and back door draws.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:39 PM

Oops, I was wrong about no possible stright draw. Lousy as it is the 2 and 6 means there could be a gutshot. Nobody should be playing it, but it's there.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
interestingly, i think if you didnt hold the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] it would be an easier fold, not because of the flush value the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] gives you, but because your outs are cleaner when holding it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always take this into account when considering peeling for the set.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:06 AM

Hi, I would play it the same. 3-bet on the flop usually means something like at least TPGK