Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: rate the deal i got on a lease 750li

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say this car is worth $500,000 (I know it is not), would the lease be retarded?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying the car is worth 500k but the monthly lease price is only 1k? Clearly a lease would never be structured in such a fashion so it is pointless to discuss a farfetched hypothetical. You must mean something else but im not sure what your getting at... could you please clarify?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say this car is worth $500,000 (I know it is not), would the lease be retarded?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying the car is worth 500k but the monthly lease price is only 1k? Clearly a lease would never be structured in such a fashion so it is pointless to discuss a farfetched hypothetical. You must mean something else but im not sure what your getting at... could you please clarify?

[/ QUOTE ]
I mean that your question is useless. If you know what the car is worth and what he's paying per month why does anything else matter?

To give a possibly clearer example, let's say you buy a house. The house is worth $500,000. In 30 years you will own the house if you pay $2,000/month. Is that a good or bad deal? You can answer this question without any more information. The money factor is irrelevant.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Despite what everyone in this forum seems to think, buying an expensive new car is not undebatably retarded. Some people like cars, get over it

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. Classic cars have been a great investment over the years and buying one of them is not necessarily a bad investment. The thing is, he is not buy a classic, he is leasing a brand new car. In most cases (and this case is not an exception) leasing is the most expensive way to drive a car. Now, you can discuss if his lease was comparatively better than other available leases but this is really a fruitless exercise. By choosing to lease he has already guaranteed he wont get a deal. If you have the cash, buy the car.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:24 PM

There is value in the world outside of currency.

-Alex
Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No. Despite what everyone in this forum seems to think, buying an expensive new car is not undebatably retarded. Some people like cars, get over it

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. Classic cars have been a great investment over the years and buying one of them is not necessarily a bad investment. The thing is, he is not buy a classic, he is leasing a brand new car. In most cases (and this case is not an exception) leasing is the most expensive way to drive a car. Now, you can discuss if his lease was comparatively better than other available leases but this is really a fruitless exercise. By choosing to lease he has already guaranteed he wont get a deal. If you have the cash, buy the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

From earlier in the thread: "I could have bought the car cash but I did not want to put 80 cash and then worry about selling the car a few years later. I like to change cars frequently."

Not everyone has the same priorities as you. If the time wasted selling a car he owns isn't worth it to him then is leasing as bad as you say?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the time wasted selling a car he owns isn't worth it to him then is leasing as bad as you say?

[/ QUOTE ]

You assume ending the lease for the car is less hassle then selling the car or trading it in. Returning a leased car that has damage beyond normal wear and tear could be a much larger hassle and quite costly. In my book, selling a car as-is is simpler then dealing with a leasing company that requires your car to be in good order.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Evan,

The point is that this lease is retarded regardless of his income. In fact, as his income increases, it becomes even more ridiculous.

Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Despite what everyone in this forum seems to think, buying an expensive new car is not undebatably retarded. Some people like cars, get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I happen to agree. I like new cars too.

Please re-read my post.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to send this thread to Dave Ramsey. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 08-10-2006, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you people save every dime you make

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
and invest it in 7% yeild investments for 40 years until you die and never get to spend your money ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. 7% is too easy to beat.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the point in earning money if you dont get to enjoy it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

My friends ask me that all the time...but they usually have to go back to work before I get a chance to answer.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the point in earning money if you dont get to enjoy it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

My friends ask me that all the time...but they usually have to go back to work before I get a chance to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is gold.