Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 05:24 PM

Default 6max AA vs. Flop reraise

Trying to get back into NL and not make a fool of myself. Basically I got an ugly flop with my aces and was baffled. I felt like just calling would be wrong as the turn was very likely to make things look worse. So I was thinking either raise or fold. But I would like to hear what you guys think. I think I should have bet more on the flop so people wouldn't think I was weak, but that's not what I'm most concerned with here.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($27.25)
UTG ($25.50)
MP ($43)
CO ($32.91)
Button ($32.40)
Hero ($31.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $1.15</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, Button calls $1.

Flop: ($4) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $6</font>, Hero ...
Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Re: 6max AA vs. Flop reraise

Forgot to mention that I don't have any reads despite having played at the table for a few orbits (something I know I need to work on). Also, I would normally raise to $1.5 or so PF but I messed up with my typing, being a limit player I'm not used to the whole typing in numbers thing just yet.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:37 PM

Id make it at least $2 preflop but with your line i think you need to repop to 20. This really looks like flush draw or streight draw.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:44 PM

I don't know if you can really raise it to $20 when your stack is $30? I would think it would be an all-in or a smaller reraise.. or a fold.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:52 PM

I think it is hard to really make a good decision here without any kind of reads. That said, I don't like your half-pot bet here, I think it should have been a lot closer to the full pot. Regardless of reads, I don't think that an average player would be holding T7 or 75. He could have made a set, but I think that it is just as likely he has something like AK, another high pair, or is betting the st8/flush draw and he could think that you made a weak CB at the flop and don't have much here. I think I would call here, and then reevaluate on the turn, being very cognizant of cards that would help the obvious draws.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:56 PM

This is a crappy flop as the villian could have a myriad of drawing outs assuming you are ahead. Going all-in might not be a bad idea. It shuts out any draws/semi-bluffs and keeps hands like JJ from pushing you around. That being said what I would likely actually do is to call and to lead out a non-draw hitting turn but being prepraed to check fold a draw hitting turn to big pressure (those this reeks of weak-tight).

A couple of other thoughts would be to raise more preflop to 1.50 or 2 and to pot the flop. This will make it harder for villian to raise you with air in this situation.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 PM

I'd raise more preflop too, 4xbb+1 for every limper, sometimes I raise more sometimes I raise less. I'd bet more on the flop, like around 3 or 4, and if he raises me more than 2x my bet, I'd muck it, but if it's a miniraise, I'd call and see what happens on the turn. I'd also just call, as played, and fire again and fold to a bet, and if he calls just check call a small bet. Have you been cbetting a lot? is he trying to police you?