Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Poker on MBA Application

There isn't an admissions office in the world that is going to give you any positive bias for 'poker' on an application. But there are a hell of a lot of them that will instantly lable you degenerate gambler. At the very least irresponsible.

This is not how you get into a good MBA program, and it's not even close.

Best case poker spin would be in an interview in some type of financial/risk management capacity or trading scenario. You might be able to spin it positively in that circle. But don't be suprised if you are embraced there only because the traders put you into the same 'degenerate gambler' category as they are in. Most of those guys have more than a little gambool in them. One is chips, one is stocks... in both cases the skilled players think they have an edge.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I get the feeling that the majority of people who seem to know what they are talking about (dustyn) think H/S/W are longshots at best. What if i could make a 740 GMAT as I did recently on a practice test, would that make enough of a difference. And if not, should i maybe apply to one of the 3 and focus my attention on top 20 ranked schools that arent the big 3 (schools like UNC, UVA, Duke, Emory, Dartmouth)? As much as I would like to go to H/W/S there is no way i will keep working for 2 more years like i have been.

BTW - my referrals would be stellar - is this really that important?

[/ QUOTE ]

I say don't even bother going to get an MBA, there is no point, atleast not yet. You should just go out and get a regular business job. From my understanding an MBA is a pointless degree and only used for promotions and upper-level management qualifications. Furthermore, I also understood that after you work a few years for a company they pay for you to go back and get your MBA. Basically, you can get a pretty damn good job without the MBA. I know several people who just got hired out of undergrad making about 50k a year, which is pretty solid for a 22 year old with no real experience.

I mean seriously, why exactly are you going to get this degree? No entry level positions require it at all.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM

I am 23, I make a lil over 50 in my current job but as a point of reference, I have made 260BBs at 100/200 over the last 2 nights. Basically, working seems silly at the moment but i do not want to be a poker "pro" for a variety of reasons. The cost of an MBA is a non issue for me and it should give me a little more time to figure out exactly what I want to do. Also by the time i finish i should have plenty of $ should i want to start my own company doing whatever. I also genuinely like learning about business and finance and think an MBA program would be interesting and beneficial.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, mmbt0ne, enjoy those micro-limits with your superior degree/math skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you get some of that 'leadership experience' and make me beat some big games?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I get the feeling that the majority of people who seem to know what they are talking about (dustyn) think H/S/W are longshots at best. What if i could make a 740 GMAT as I did recently on a practice test, would that make enough of a difference. And if not, should i maybe apply to one of the 3 and focus my attention on top 20 ranked schools that arent the big 3 (schools like UNC, UVA, Duke, Emory, Dartmouth)? As much as I would like to go to H/W/S there is no way i will keep working for 2 more years like i have been.

BTW - my referrals would be stellar - is this really that important?

[/ QUOTE ]

A 740 GMAT will make no difference over a 710 GMAT in getting in or not getting in. MBA programs are after two things: whether you can handle the academic rigor (laugh) of the MBA program, and then the "fit" part, which consists of career goals, personality fit, why MBA, etc. With your 3.2 GPA and 710 GMAT, you will meet the "academic" part fine (assuming your grades on math courses are fine). Where you're looking to improve on is that second part - the "softer" part of the application. Now, for a school like Emory, a 750-760 GMAT may be an improvement as far as getting scholarship money, but imo any school you can get into with a 740 you will be able to get into with a 710. At the 10-25th ranked schools, a higher score may help you get more money from the UNCs of the world.

Referrals matter very little imo. They don't hurt, but most applicants in the world has gushing referrals.

I think you would get into UNC or Emory no problem (depends on the rest of your app though...make sure you apply early). The one year of work exp may scare them, but I think if the rest of your app is strong you'll be fine. If you applied to both of those and then schools like Darden, Fuqua/Duke, Vanderbilt, etc., that's probably a solid strategy. Also keep in mind where you want to be post-graduation. It sounds like southeast?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:38 PM

i just graduated from a top 25 MBA program and can very safely tell you poker on your resume(even at the level i've reached) is not a good thing.

leave it off. sell yourself based on your hard and soft skills. be good in interviews. be personable. be ACCURATE and dont ever let yoruself get caught in a stupid mistake (ie. grammatical/spelling errors etc.)

gl

Barron
Old 08-09-2006, 08:10 PM

Probably not a good idea to tell the college you are a poker player. Poker is still gambling which in my mind would stand out in a bad way to a college not a good way no matter how much math is involved.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 AM

Including poker is not a good idea IMHO. Most people look down on poker and won't believe you really make money unless they happen to be poker players themselves. Any time I show members of my family my PT the inevitable follow-up question is, "So how much have you lost?" (This is not a brag. I am a low-limit limi-donker.) I think my mom is the only one in my family who believes I make money at poker. I do not tell people outside of my family I play poker.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 AM

I'm a current MBA student in a top 50 program. You are absolutely correct not to include it for the schools you will likely be accepted to. Including poker depends on how you view your chances of being accepted. If you are a long shot with very little chance then try it. If you are on the fence, then I vote no.

Here is how I think the top programs will view your application compared to other applicants:

1. Undergrad GPA: below average
2. Undergrad College: below average or average
3. Work experience: equal/below avg (one year is not enough 2-4 is ideal)
4. References: above average
5. GMAT: equal to slightly above average (they will combine both scores if you take it again so a 740 will be averaged with your 710)
6. Interview: I'll assume above average

The way I see it you are on the fence at best with the top programs(HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Sloan,etc). You have a chance of acceptance but a very small one. If you are set on going to a top school now, then I say include it because you likely will not get in based on the above and you never know. However, if you are set on going to a top program, get two more years of work experience. This will broaden your experience likely result in greater career success that the schools will recognize. Furthermore, the more work experience, the less undergrad GPA will be weighed. With more work experience I see you as having a even money chance of getting into one of the top programs WITHOUT mentioning poker.

If you do decide to mention it, then be prepared to answer questions in your interview. Make sure to mention David Einhorn (Greenlight capital) and his run at this years main event...

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol, mmbt0ne, enjoy those micro-limits with your superior degree/math skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you get some of that 'leadership experience' and make me beat some big games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]