Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 01:26 AM

Default 98s - Top Pair Backdoors a Flush

I think this hand is pretty standard - I mainly wanted feedback because the good TAG in the CO ragged me out a bit at the end of it. I wanted to make sure that everyone else would play this the same way.

Live 10/20 - loose/semi-aggressive, good game with average 5-6 players to the flop, seems to alternate between aggressive and passive in swings, but more often aggressive

Reads:
UTG+1 - loose calling station
MP1 - weak tight
MP2 - realtively new to the table, but seems a little LAGgy so far
CO - TAG, very good player, can be tricky, a regular that I play with semi-often, he's surely a long term winner in the game and I respect his play
Button - way too loose, plays about 50% of his hands preflop, mostly passive calling station, a post flop raise almost always means at least two pair
BB - semi-tight, half decent ABC player, seems to alternate between aggressive and passive at times that don't make sense

(Please Note: for those that are going to tell me to fold preflop - this game, these opponents, and my own confidence in playing middle suited connectors multiway postflop make the preflop limp fine in my books! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Table is currently 9 handed with a dead small blind for this hand

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls

Flop: <font color="#0000FF">(7 players, 14 SB)</font> 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="#666666">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls

Turn: <font color="#0000FF">(5 players, 12 BB)</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#666666">MP2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">BB folds</font>

River: <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 15 BB)</font> 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls

Final Pot: 21 BB
Old 08-09-2006, 01:35 AM

Default Re: 98s - Top Pair Backdoors a Flush

Why no river three-bet?

Your flush is well-disguised and with four to a straight on board, not only are you unlikely to get the overcall from non-straight hands, if either (or both) opponents have a straight, they'll almost certainly pay you off.

-McGee
Old 08-09-2006, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why no river three-bet?

Your flush is well-disguised and with four to a straight on board, not only are you unlikely to get the overcall from non-straight hands, if either (or both) opponents have a straight, they'll almost certainly pay you off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that there's a good enough chance that Button actually has a better flush than me, since he's smart enough to see the 3 flush out there and be a bit scared of it, but not smart enough to notice that I'd have to have one of very few hands to actually play this like a runner-runner flush.

Plus I know that CO will overcall one almost always with his straight, which I am confident he has now, but will fold a lesser hand almost always. And he'll fold his straight to my 3bet.

So I didn't really think there was enough value to a 3bet, I figure I'm possibly behind more often than ahead here.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:04 AM

if he is a passive station what about 86,63s,65,78,95? Those hands seem alot like something he could have being a station or he could have a busted AK or something trying to take a stab at a scary river card for somebody with just a pair or 2.
I think a river 3-bet is in order cuz we definitely have CO beat and with the way this guy played it most station are sure to have a straight with a pair. So probably something like 98,78,68.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a river 3-bet is in order cuz we definitely have CO beat

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's part of the issue. If we 3bet, we get absolutely no value from CO and we lose more when behind to Button. Also, we open ourselves up to an expensive 4bet from Button which we have to call but are almost always behind if that happens.

If we don't 3bet, we PROBABLY will get value from CO, but maybe not. But we will not open ourselves up to an expensive reraise when behind, and we won't lose extra on our 3bet when behind.

It's a tough situation either way, I just couldn't see the value in it.