Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Jamie Gold Info

[ QUOTE ]
Gold all in PF with 87...oh yeah, he's only playing premium hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

well it used to be true.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How so? Are the people criticizing the play being results oriented or not? Rizen clearly is not some random "oooo an ace!" donk off the street, right? He had reason to believe it would work, right? It didn't.

I'm happy to see some ranges and stove #s if you wanna argue the strategy of it. But you tell me if Rizen picked up 25% of his stack by limp-RR'ing Gold, what the reaction would have been?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, is that in your example, we don't know what hand Rizen has, so we therefore can only assume he made a good play (even if it was a 23o he did it with). It's a different story when we see what cards he did it with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, OK, but that's less relevant to me, since the cards in Rizen's hand really are secondary to the position, timing, and ranges for Gold to raise and range for Gold to call, and how wide the disparity is, which is IMO the most important factor.

Would it have been a good play with 88? AK? I don't think the fact that he had A6 matters that much. And also, I don't think the response would have been an iota different in my example if at the end had been "Lynch tossed his cards toward the muck, but they landed face up, revealing the Aspade and the 6heart" It still all would have been "yeah, he knows he can't cal without a big hand, and unless he has AA, he's no worse than 30-70. nh Rizen"

[/ QUOTE ]

If Tom Landry w/ time running out in the superbowl w/ Dorsett and Newhouse in the backfield had a 4th and 1 and threw a BomB...could the fans at least question it without losing respect for Landry?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. My argument isn't that people aren't respecting Rizen, it's that they are being results oriented. In your example, if Dallas had reason to believe that a bomb would work, and that the opponent would do everything to stop the run, so they called a bomb. Then, the opps have 9 in the box, and the WR is open but the pass is a touch overthrown, and off the fingertips. Then, criticism is unnecessary because, due to the specific situation, the bomb works most of the time.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice... at first I didn't realize that Lynch & Prahlad made the same about of money.

So the $2750 I spent on the last-longer is actually a push. Phew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for letting us know this. We were all really worried about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually AM glad you posted this, because I had internalized the bet as a pure last-longer, and now I am happy that I didn't lose the two units I thought I had. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Final Table?

For all the sports-betting savvy: Will Final table considered to be Top 10 or Top 9 players?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as Gold has a huge stack he'll continue as is, if he loses the chiplead or a mega-sized pot THEN you might see the super mega monkey tilt Ignignokt wants.

After being a huge chipleader for like 3 days and then all the sudden not being, that can probably really throw your head for a loop. He might get totally passive, trying not to "blow it" or he might play crazy to get it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he may go on monkey tilt before FT, esp if he loses lead to AC or Nassif/Einhorn doubles through him at some point. Going to 1st to 3rd requires some adjustment as you fade back to the pack, and smarter players will start playing back at him lighter, etc.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:37 PM

From the poker blog on ESPN.com, the complete article can be found at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/inde...mp;lid=tab1pos1

A snippet:
[ QUOTE ]
"There might be a story,'' Gold said, "if I dump at the end because I don't want to be famous.''

Excuse me? "Dump at the end''? Isn't it every player's dream to win this one event?

"I don't want to be famous,'' Gold said while sitting in the Bodog lounge before Day 6 of the event Monday. "I'm not sure if I want to win. And I'm in control of that.''

The stunning epiphany hit the 36-year-old Malibu, Calif., resident earlier that morning.

"I just thought about what would happen if I won,'' Gold said. "Out of the goodness of their heart, a lot of people would feel like they needed to talk to me, they'd want to know what I was doing, cameras would follow me around. I don't want my life on display. I don't have anything to hide. I'm just not that person. I've always been behind other people. I like making other people famous. I'm not comfortable being in the spotlight. I like my private life.

"I also don't want to be responsible for being the ambassador of poker or anything like that. What Greg Raymer does is amazing. Good for him. I'm not looking to quit my job. I like the job I do. I don't need the money. I'm not doing this for the money. I love the competition.''

The money, though. It's $12 million.

"The money will help my father,'' Gold said. "But $6 million will help him, too. I would rather come in second.''

Suddenly, this raises the question of the way he might play his hands. The integrity issue comes into play.

"I haven't decided what I'm doing,'' he said. "If it's inappropriate, I won't do it. I'm just telling you that if I had to plan it out, coming in second would be more satisfying to me.''

But the bracelet represents the greatest accomplishment that this competition offers, a place among the greats.

"I want to win,'' he said. "I don't want to be famous.''

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-08-2006, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Final Table?

[ QUOTE ]
For all the sports-betting savvy: Will Final table considered to be Top 10 or Top 9 players?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the site, when bluesq.com was doing final table odds, they were going to pay if they made the final 10.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:39 PM

1 Jamie Gold 18,200,000
2 Allen Cunningham 13,400,000
3 Dan Nassif 6,200,000
4 David Einhorn 5,940,000
5 Rhett Butler 5,700,000
6 John Magill 5,300,000
7 Erik Friberg 5,200,000
8 Doug Kim 4,900,000
9 Michael Binger 4,680,000
10 Sirous Jamshidi 3,650,000
11 Leif Force 3,150,000
12 William Thorsson 2,920,000
13 Jeffrey Lisandro 2,800,000
14 Luke Chung 2,145,000
15 Kevin Aaronson 2,040,000
16 Fred Goldberg 1,700,000
17 Richard Lee 955,000
18 Paul Wasicka 950,000
Old 08-08-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Final Table?

[ QUOTE ]

Depends on the site, when bluesq.com was doing final table odds, they were going to pay if they made the final 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if it is the same for Bet365?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: WSOP Day 7 Main Event Thread

Redraw for the final two tables. Apparently, Cunningham will be on Gold's left.