Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which team do you hope wins?
Seattle 21 38.18%
Pittsburgh 23 41.82%
don't care either way 11 20.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Ah, Phil......

[ QUOTE ]
wow what an awesome sight that would be to see. well told btw. someone should seriously follow phil around like paparazzi recording everything he does to capture these awesome moments.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is not enough film or video atock in the US to completely capture each of these tirades. Although I would be first in line to purchase the DVD series. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo
Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have his book (only because it was free) and in my opinion it is poorly written and has no value (in the hands of a novice it will probably cost them money).

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to comment on this.

Because it's entirely true. The first book I read on limit hold'em was Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros. Even then I knew it was crap. My brother read it, and actually tries to stick to "Phil's top ten." His play is so messed up. I can only give him SSHE and hope he forgets everything he read in Phil's book.

[/ QUOTE ]

was the first book i bought to, and i thought it was fine. Layed a decent foundation for NL play (never played limit, can't comment on it). When i started playing some omaha i dusted it off and read the omaha sections... again it was helpful.

Not a great book for strategy, but useful for someone just starting the game.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have his book (only because it was free) and in my opinion it is poorly written and has no value (in the hands of a novice it will probably cost them money).

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's entirely true. The first book I read on limit hold'em was Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros. Even then I knew it was crap. My brother read it, and actually tries to stick to "Phil's top ten." His play is so messed up. I can only give him SSHE and hope he forgets everything he read in Phil's book.

[/ QUOTE ]

was the first book i bought to, and i thought it was fine. Layed a decent foundation for NL play (never played limit, can't comment on it). When i started playing some omaha i dusted it off and read the omaha sections... again it was helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad it helped you. I was strictly referring to the limit section.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:45 PM

Hans "Tuna" Lund sat to my left for a few hours on Day 2. Hellmuth stopped by 2 or 3 (maybe 7) times to sweat and chat him up. Hans prodded the dealer to "ask the riff raff to leave the players alone" next time Hellmuth arrived. And, true to her promise, the dealer obliged. Phil almost staggered when she said it - although she gave up the ruse too quickly for him to steam.

He then went about wandering about the floor wearing his Hugo Boss suit that still had the tag left stitched on the outer sleeve; priceless.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 PM

When I see Phil, I have flashbacks of high school but in this scene, everything is turned on its head and that goofy little dude that everyone used to pick on is the king of the school.

Whats really weird is everyone knows he's still that goofy little dude, but pay him deference anyway.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 AM

Except now the goofy little dude is 6'6" and a black belt.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 AM

a. good for the unknown kid that bluffed him.

b. black belt or not, hellmuth would not whoop my ass.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Except now the goofy little dude is 6'6" and a black belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, that didn't stop Sam Grizzle from kickin his ace
Old 08-08-2006, 06:13 PM

I was actually playing one table over from Phil when this incident happened late on the first day. The funniest part was not the actual kicking, but Matusow's barrage from the next table over after it happened. For a good 10 minutes straight, these were some of the priceless comments:

---"Hey...Hey Phil!...Hey 'Greatest Player in the World?' What happened? Did someone not remember how f'ing awesome you are?" (notably, the Mouth did not recieve a penalty for this, even though it was heard by about 50 people)

---"Hey greatest player in the world! How many bracelets do you have again? Have you been counting? Has anyone been counting? Does anyone care?"

---"Hey Philly Boy! Hey Greatest player ever! What's the matter? Did you tell everyone how great you are and what ingenious laydowns you make as you muck a pair of queens after a re-raise with threes?"

this is the one that had the entire place roaring, including Steve Dannemann, who was sitting to my left all day. (more on this to come in a trip report)

great tournament, great times, and great result for your fellow 2+2'er. I ended up taking 2nd, and was one counterfitted pair of pocket sixes away from a very nice shiny piece of jewelry.

and to those who say these shouldn't be bracelet events, let me remind you that all three 10-bracelet winners competed in this field of over 1000, and I'm sure each of them would take the bracelet without hesitation, and without any "asterisk."

granted...the actual winner was quite a character, and is probably using his bracelet to clean out bong residue right now.

oh well.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad it helped you. I was strictly referring to the limit section.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought it too a long time ago. The one thing I will give Phil is that this book stresses something that all beginner players have trouble doing...playing tight. It will beat playing tight into your head....to an extreme overkill.

The rest is trunk material though. I sold it on Ebay for $5.