Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Franchises - Good Investment?

I am a 20 year old college student and I have made ~$40,000 over the past 6 monthes playing poker and I hope to save 200-300 thousand dollars by the time I graduate. I have no real expenses right now, so all of the money is either being saved or spent on E-bay.

I have two more years in school and am studying engineering. I don't really like engineering and it doesn't offer much of an opportunity to be self-employed.

I would like to be self-employed within one year of graduating. Given my situation, would a franchise be a good business undertaking to pursue? I'd love to hear any advice/information/suggestions you all can offer.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Franchises - Good Investment?

[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't offer much of an opportunity to be self-employed

[/ QUOTE ]

this is untrue. plus the ability to use your degree to clear a nice salary is great as a backup in case poker games aren't as good in the future or you run extremely bad. this salary can help bootstrap future business endeavours.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't offer much of an opportunity to be self-employed

[/ QUOTE ]

this is untrue. plus the ability to use your degree to clear a nice salary is great as a backup in case poker games aren't as good in the future or you run extremely bad. this salary can help bootstrap future business endeavours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, which is why I plan on working for at least one year when I get out of school, while my business gets underway. I may not have made it clear, but I have no illusions of playing poker for a living, it will be a passtime when I get out of school.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would a franchise be a good business undertaking to pursue?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to provide ALOT more information before anyone can give a reasonable answer.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:14 PM

Hmmm, it seems like you have a solid franchise going right now. Why vary a winning routine/formula?

"I have made ~$40,000 over the past 6 monthes playing poker and I hope to save 200-300 thousand dollars by the time I graduate. "

I hope you might consider blogging this journey, complete with statistics, graphs for equity curve, drawdown, time to recovery to previous BR high, etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:23 PM

Not to change the subject, but why don't you switch to business as a major? What am I missing? Or is it - what are you missing?
Old 08-05-2006, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why vary a winning routine/formula?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming entrepreneurship rates higher than playing cards forever. He can also still play cards, albeit with assumed resctricted playing time.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to change the subject, but why don't you switch to business as a major? What am I missing? Or is it - what are you missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

good point, but I am almost 3 years in so it's a bit late to change course. I am getting a business minor though.

I don't think a degree in business is necessary to become an entrepreneur. Some keen business sense and hard work will do it.