Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 01:43 AM

Default Combatting the agressive, persistant post-flop player...

I think this was brought up in the WSOP board at some time, in regards to players that will bet at most flops, float most flops, check/raise often, etc - and how well this works with deep stacks. However, I just ran into a guy like this in somewhat short stacks (PL HE), who was pretty successful in killing my game.

I mean, one tactic wold be not to sit to this players right, and to turn off his luckbox (this guy flopped the nuts three times in a row against shorter stacks). However, his bets, although odd, were efective in killing resistance.

For example, he would minraise in certain positions on a flop, and get folds because players (myself included) didn't have enough of a hand to push against his range.

Another hand, i called his UTG minraise 6 handed in my BB with A8s, not repopping only because he liked to reraise again to control a hand (even with Ms of 20-30, and I really didn't want to play this for all my chips considering pay jumps were decent, and I was 2nd to him.

Flop: K 8d 5d (not my suit)

I check to him (first mistake) because I am scared of a raise coming back, which is inevitable, as he hasn't outright folded on many flops. Also, this isn't the monster I want to trap him with - top pair would be nice against him. So I check, he bets an odd value relative to the pot, and I weakly fold. Prior to this, I had check raised him after raising preflop, and he pushed and I had to fold AK on a rag board.

Is it best to push my small edges against a guy like this? Do I rub my magic luckbox so I can at least hit TP when in a hand against him? It would have been so easy to trap him if I had a decent hand, but he totally domilished all of my A9-AQ, KQ, 55 type hands - where I am prob ahead, but have no clue where I am in the hand. The only real pot I took off of him was a decent bluff where he said he folded an overpair on a rag board when I held AQ and one person was all in. Another pot was my only suckout, and I raised his blind with A6s, he called, flop KK9, and he pushed into me. I called, figuring him to be on a flush draw, he flips 33? and I am left to my 9-12 outer which I hit.

OK, this has been logn and its late, but I just wanted to know if anyone had insight into playing a player who basically assumes you have nothing until proven wrong.