Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 AM

Default Problem with my External HD

Ok...

before i left my desktop computer went, so i ordered a new one before i got back. When i got it here i started transfering stuff from my external HD to the new tower and after awhile I got this message and it wouldnt register my ex HD anymore

"F: is not accessible - the request couldnt be performed because of an I/O device error"

can anyone tell me what this means?? I am kinda stuck until I figure it out? Is it the actual ex HD or maybe the cable link?? I tried to hook it up to my laptop and get the same error, sometimes it doesnt even register its hooked up until i unplug it then it pops up for a second and goes away.

someone please help....
Old 08-07-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Problem with my External HD

anyone?? noone??
Old 08-07-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Problem with my External HD

The best way to determine whether it's the cable or the drive itself is to try with a different cable. You've already established that it's not the new computer. If it works, youve solved the problem, if not you need to look further. Another possibility would be the power cord or power supply for the drive. Most external drives have a power light and an activity light. If these aren't lighting, the power supply ore one of it's cords could be bad. If you really need the data and the drive is bad, if you're lucky, it may be the enclosure that's bad, and not the HD itself. you could possibly move the drive to an enclosure. If it's the drive itself, it may be possible to take the HD out of the old computer to transfer data, if it's not dead.