Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 01:33 PM

Default HU Strategy Question

How do you ajust your play against an agressive opponent who raises 3X EVERY TIME in position?

I did re-raise him PF alot , check-raise on a bluff on the flop but couldn't
hit anything. I did get him to lay down some hands, but it's hard to play
against an agressive player with no cards...

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:11 PM

Default Re: HU Strategy Question

adjust by raising 3x every time YOU have the button
Old 08-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Call, evaluate the flop
Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 AM

If he is raising 3x EVERY time, then probably reraise with your best 20% hands, and call with your next best 30% of hands, and fold the next 50% of hands.

Make sure your reraise is substantial as well, you want to punish him for raising with garbage, do not let him call your reraise for cheap and have a chance to hit with position.

I played a similar opponent yesterday except he was raising 4.5x EVERY time on the button. It was quite annoying, and I had to be even tighter than I recommend above.

Further he would bet 2/3 of the pot continuation bet EVERY time. This gave lots of check raising opportunities.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM

Biceps has a real good logic here. I think the real question is how well do you think you can play after the flop OOP because this guy is just making position raises. It's nothing more than static noise. If you think you can outplay him postflop then I'd call with almost any 2 cards. If you're not as confident then follow Biceps strategy.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:49 PM

I ran into this problem in last year's WCOOP. I got through the first round very easily, and was unlucky and drew a pretty well known player in C.K. in the second round.

He raised every single button, and I was pretty much card dead. Oddly enough he didn't continue to be so aggressively after the flop, and I was able to stay even. Most of the hyper-aggressive players I like to simply call down when I have anything...they will usually hang themselves for a good chunk of their chips.

Often you can call the flop with any cards and see if they slow down on the turn, then take it away from them. However, good players will bet the flop with a strong hand and check the turn if they think you are capable of making a play at it.

When a guy keeps raising, I fold more hands in the beginning because the blinds are low and the small pots don't matter. Sometimes they get annoyed and stop raising because they can't get action on their good hands either. I usually don't reraise preflop so I can disguise my hand and let them bluff off their chips.