Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Hiring a Personal Assistant

Not that your points don't have merit, but she does have a real 40hr a week job. I'm supplemental income.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:58 PM

If its supplemental than why does she need the money? Her primary job doesn't pay well?

Anyways if you are serious about it. Set a 30-day probationary period and make sure she does a good job of whatever job/tasks she will be required to perform. You are paying her to work right?

If she makes it through the probationary period then you can take it from there.

Good Luck!

NJC
Old 03-02-2005, 04:04 PM

Well-paid = $15/hour. Beats a lot of college jobs.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you need for her to hang out with you and your friends? Isn't she going to be too *busy* doing all your so called bitch work???

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason I've only met a few times before was because she was working for Americorps for the past year. She is best friends with one of my closest friends (apparently, before she left for Americorps, they went "everywhere" together), so I'd imagine that when I want to hang out with my friend, she will be there as well.

I typed up a brief job description before I met her for lunch today. Here's what I showed her.

Keep apt. clean
-Laundry/Dry cleaning
-Light Housework (I’ll do the gross stuff)
Computer work (database maintenance, data/info gathering)
Errands (I have a car to use)
Anything else that pops in my head (with your approval)

During lunch, she volunteered to cook for me on occassion. I told her I would consider it.

I hope I don't sound defensive here. That wasn't my goal. Turnipmonster's 2 week trial period seems like a great suggestion that will answer a lot of questions.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:14 PM

$15 and hour is quite generous for a college gig. Off the books no less.

If she is driving around for you on the job and she gets into an accident you know that you will be liable for her.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:18 PM

being in your position and having a 'personal assistant' do your stuff for you just seems weird. if she does have hot friends they probably wouldn't think you were a great guy after hearing about this arrangement. unless they just want money.

i would say have groceries delivered, use a laundry service, and have a maid come in twice a month or something. takes care of all the stuff she will do but in a much more normal way.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
being in your position and having a 'personal assistant' do your stuff for you just seems weird. if she does have hot friends they probably wouldn't think you were a great guy after hearing about this arrangement. unless they just want money.

i would say have groceries delivered, use a laundry service, and have a maid come in twice a month or something. takes care of all the stuff she will do but in a much more normal way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, you still wouldn't ever have to leave your basement except to open the door for the delivery people. I guess you could probably rig up an automatic door for that though.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention most likely way cheaper.

Also when you pay for a service like that you usually pay a flat fee instead of sqabbling over whether they worked an extra 15 minutes a day or something.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:21 PM

This thread depresses me. I have every episode of Seinfeld and i've watched them all atleast a time or two, but I still don't get the reference. Can someone explain further so I can re-watch this one?
Old 03-02-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention most likely way cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think he's doing this because he's looking for value. He's doing it as a favor to a good friend and getting a little something in return for it instead of just putting out a loan/gift.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:22 PM

NJChick,

Are you Mike Gallo's personal assistant?