Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Always fold river against unknown?

For what its worth there was a few second delay before the river bet but who knows if that means anything. Do I need a read before I call the river?

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP folds, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 08-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Always fold river against unknown?

NH. I play it the same.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Sorry for the hijack, but is anyone checking the flop here? I for one probably am.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the hijack, but is anyone checking the flop here? I for one probably am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I check flop and as played, fold river.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:09 PM

yeah OOP with 2 spades with 3 opponents I check the flop here
Old 08-07-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I check the flop as well. I don't check the flop if I'm making a fast post before my coworker wants to go to lunch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Nice catch.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:08 PM

I think in this case I'm either folding the turn because it's still a relatively small pot or calling the river - both to find out what kinds of hands BB will do this with and because this will be a busted flush draw some percentage of the time.

The way you've played this it's pretty easy for BB to put you on two overcards, so he's going to keep firing even if he missed his flush.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in this case I'm either folding the turn because it's still a relatively small pot or calling the river - both to find out what kinds of hands BB will do this with and because this will be a busted flush draw some percentage of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, a flush draw is more likely to just call the flop in an effort to build a bigger pot. Villain's flop raise screams "I must protect my decent made hand." With that assumption, hero often has 4-10 outs, usually closer to 10, on the turn in a 6BB sized pot. I think folding the turn would be a mistake.