Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 06:22 PM

Default Re: 5/10 - A7s in SB - watch me fold a full-house

After this flop, my plan is to save my aggression and protection for the turn if it's safe.

You bet the flop because BB will raise and help protect your hand. But, if BB raises, It's likely a hand that is ahead, an overpair. With high cards, BB may just call and hope to see the turn for one bet (not always, but enough to make me want to reconsider leading). When the latter happens, other hands get priced in for a call and may outdraw you.

So, I check the turn. If someone in late position bets out, I call, then CR a good turn. On a bad turn, I consider myself behind and drawing, odds permitting. On a good turn but an EP or MP flop bet, I'm not so thrilled, but I'd tend to lead.

As played, I do not like the flop bet or 3bet. You may be behind to an overpair, and are vulnerable when ahead given all those callers.

By the turn, what x6 does a solid tag have? None: there are no A6s left. You're drawing thin against a PP, and only to a chop if you catch an ace. I consider both 7s and ~1 Ace to be outs, so you can barely call the turn raise getting 17.5:1 (including utg1 call). Since I would have not 3bet the flop, I'd check the turn and call odds permitting.

EDIT: now that I have read other posts, I realize I left 6s5s and case 77 out of villians range (chesspain). This has the effect of supporting the check call turn line (because I do not like bet borderline-fold in big pots).
Old 08-06-2006, 06:47 PM

Default Re: 5/10 - A7s in SB - watch me fold a full-house

I once saw a guy fold a full house on the river. He had JJ, his opponent had K8. The board was KJ884. On the river, there was a bet, a raise, a reraise, and JJ folded for one more bet because he concluded his opponent had KK or 88. He was sick for many hours later. I have a general rule of not folding full houses, because I would rather lose a few bets than make a bad fold and be sick about it for the rest of the session. Even if it turns out to be -EV at the moment, I have to pay that price, because I hate hours of lingering disgust and tilt that result when I make a bad laydown of a huge hand. I figure that -EV to be worse.

Furthermore, if I am unsure if my opponent is bluffing me on the river, I make many loose calls because the mere possibility that my opponent bluffed me out of a pot will bother me so much for the rest of the night that I would rather pay the price of the last bet and rest assured I wasnt bluffed rather than sit and think about it for hours and let it effect my game and cause me to make even more terrible calls to make up for that one fold. Even if I lose like 90% of the time, it is worth it for me. Plus, I may even win the pot now and then.

Although this is different than the hand you posted, I will comment on that hand now.

Sure, you may lose to a bigger full house or quads some times, but like someone said you could still catch an Ace on the river and probably you are looking at another 7 in this situation. You shouldnt fold, although you will probably lose at least 50% of the time.

-J